Scwarzbier, to Steep, Add at Mashout or sparge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day Brewers, Brewsters and any Enbies,

I'm looking to brew my "I see your Schwarzbier is bigger than mine" recipe for the first time and after some advice.

I've had good results when adding dark grains for black IPA to the grist just before spargeing, but the recipe this is based on advises to add them at mash out. I'd always heard that passing liquor at too high a temperature through dark grains elevates astringency. Has anyone tried either or both who can share their results at all?

Thank you

Stuart

Add at the start of mash out, any non fermentables are better added at the beginning of mash out. This is what I do with my Baltic Porter, (essentially a black lager)

Emma

I recently made a schwarzbier, best one I've made yet and I added the grains just before sparging. My dark grains were a mix of chocolate and black, and there is no astringency. If you go by the BJCP definition of schwarzbier then the "dark" flavours are subtle and putting them in the mash will result in a stout and they won't be too subtle. I've also found adding them at mashout still adds too much flavour from the dark malts. That's my experience, and it sounds similar to yours, so I'd recommend doing what works well.

Astringency will increase if you mash too slowly or too hot I believe. Mashing out at around 75c should be fine.

My experience of brewing stouts suggests full-mash addition for dry bitter roast, end of mash for less bitterness and roast but still quite roasty because of the boil, cold-steeped and added to the last 10-15 minutes of the boil for smooth roasty flavours (or all the colour and very little flavour if you’re not using much).

If you add the steeped liquor at flameout you also get smooth flavours but also get a raw graininess if not cooked out for those last few minutes.

Thank you guys, I'll likely play it safe and split the grains between the 3 methods. I figure if you've all tried the three different methods and had good results this sound like the best way to hedge my bets athumb..

Latest posts

Back