secondary fermentor question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
I bought this secondary fermenting barrel and have used it to make my first bitter. Problem is that there is no airlock to let the pressure out (like in the primary tub) and I've had problems with leaking as a result. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Secondary 2.JPG

Secondary1 (1).JPG

Looks to me like a pressure barrel, not a `secondary fermenter'.
After fermenting in your primary, you pour the beer in this, prime it with 80g of sugar, keep it warm for a week, then cool for a week or more longer. Then drink your beer.
They are notorious for leaking - drips from the tap itself, drips from where the tap screws in, and gas leaking from the rubber seal in the cap.
I've got 2 of these, the first suffers from the last problem, the second suffers from all three. Very annoying but still way less trouble than bottling.

Ah! Thanks CWRW666. So this is meant to build up pressure? I bottled the beer after being in this barrel anyway. Do you think I should ditch this and get another tub with an airlock for secondary?

Sorry, I'm not even down with the basics :doh::doh:

Ah! Thanks CWRW666. So this is meant to build up pressure? I bottled the beer after being in this barrel anyway. Do you think I should ditch this and get another tub with an airlock for secondary?

Sorry, I'm not even down with the basics :doh::doh:

You could do if you want to spend the money, but if your a tight git like me you can continue to use the pressure barrel as a secondary. I've never used and air lock. Just put cling film and an elastic band to keep it in place over the opening - as I do on all my fermenters - an rest the black screw on top, on the top of the cling film. The cling film will keep any dirt, airborne particles, nasties or fruit flies out and let any excess CO2 out - where's the leak you have,anyway?

I've never used and air lock. Just put cling film and an elastic band to keep it in place over the opening

How does the CO2 escape, do you pierce the cling film with a pin as in the balloon method some members use on PET water bottle DJ'S?

How does the CO2 escape, do you pierce the cling film with a pin as in the balloon method some members use on PET water bottle DJ'S?

The elastic band doesn't hold the cling film on so it it air tight, so the CO2 seems to escape slowly from under the cling film. I say slowly, as in the first couple of days when lots of CO2 is being produced the cling film 'bows up/inflates a bit' (apologies for the **** description) so it's like a little cling film dome on the top of the FV

You could do if you want to spend the money, but if your a tight git like me you can continue to use the pressure barrel as a secondary.
Sounds good! :D

I've never used and air lock. Just put cling film and an elastic band to keep it in place over the opening - as I do on all my fermenters - an rest the black screw on top, on the top of the cling film. The cling film will keep any dirt, airborne particles, nasties or fruit flies out and let any excess CO2 out
That's a great idea! I've noticed that there are two tiny holes in the top of the cap's shaft. A layer of clingfilm beneath that should do the job.

- where's the leak you have,anyway?
Around the tap seal. Luckily it hasn't come apart at the edges. Made a right mess last time.

Thanks for the input!

I agree with MyQul. Cling film is not actually air-tight and will let the gas out through it but not let nastys back in. I often use it when I'm fermenting wine if I have a bit too much for the demijohn I just ferment the excess in a wine bottle with clingfilm over the top.
If the leak is around the tap where it screws into the barrel - unscrew it, wrap loads of PTFE tape (plumbing tape) over the threads and screw it back in. It should stop the leak but you may have to put fresh tape on every time.

I agree with MyQul. Cling film is not actually air-tight and will let the gas out through it but not let nastys back in. I often use it when I'm fermenting wine if I have a bit too much for the demijohn I just ferment the excess in a wine bottle with clingfilm over the top.
If the leak is around the tap where it screws into the barrel - unscrew it, wrap loads of PTFE tape (plumbing tape) over the threads and screw it back in. It should stop the leak but you may have to put fresh tape on every time.

Didn't realize that cling film isn't air-tight, I thought the CO2 was escaping from under it rather than actually passing through it - interesting

So, the purpose of the barrel is more like a replacement for bottling insofar as it keeps the beer carbonated while you store it. Makes sense now.

So, if I use the barrel for secondary and tap it off into bottles, do I need to add sugar to the bottles to maintain carbonation?

I'll definitely give the taping a go at some point. A lot less fuss than bottling 40 pints at a time!

A Pressure barrel is a lot easier to fill than 40 bottles but they cant contain the same level of pressure as a bottle. So are fantastic for beers with a lower level of condition such as bitters and ales, but if your wanting to sup beers with more condition like continental beers and lagers then bottling is probably the best budget option open to you,

when fermenting you just want to keep anything off the beer so a lid or cap on the barrel is useful, but it neednt be sealed down, just sat in place is good enough to stop dust or anything dropping out of the air into it,

if using the PB for serving beer under presure look at adding a co2 injection system either little bulbs or a s30 bottle system, the condition and pressure contained in the barrel may easily expire before you have drunk the beer and if you get the 'GLUG OF DEATH' air bubbles passing back thru the tap and up thru the beer you will oxidise the beer and it will be OFF within a day!!

A Pressure barrel is a lot easier to fill than 40 bottles but they cant contain the same level of pressure as a bottle. So are fantastic for beers with a lower level of condition such as bitters and ales, but if your wanting to sup beers with more condition like continental beers and lagers then bottling is probably the best budget option open to you,

when fermenting you just want to keep anything off the beer so a lid or cap on the barrel is useful, but it neednt be sealed down, just sat in place is good enough to stop dust or anything dropping out of the air into it,

if using the PB for serving beer under presure look at adding a co2 injection system either little bulbs or a s30 bottle system, the condition and pressure contained in the barrel may easily expire before you have drunk the beer and if you get the 'GLUG OF DEATH' air bubbles passing back thru the tap and up thru the beer you will oxidise the beer and it will be OFF within a day!!

Cool. I'm busy with a stout at the moment, but would want to try a lager in the future, so I'll definitely be bearing this in mind. Thanks!

Definitely avoid the glug of death! I find with my own PBs that after priming and conditioning for a couple of weeks, after I start drinking it I run out of pressure about half way down the barrel. This is very annoying. You can easily tell when the pressure is going though, so stop drawing off beer, no matter how thirsty you are, before you get the `glug'.
I then whip the cap off and chuck in a further 80g of sugar to re-prime it as I don't have a CO2 injection system, put the cap back on making sure the seal is seated well and also greased with vaseline. I put it back in our airing cupboard for a week to pressure up and then it's fit for drinking again and so far the pressure has always held right down to the tap.
Of course it helps if you've got another brew already bottled / PB'd to tide you over the gap. :lol:

Latest posts

Back