Snub nose PRV leaking.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I unboxed my Apollo snub nose for its first brew yesterday, and the red prv leaked when I tested it so I swapped it with the one from my junion King but that still wasn’t watertight ( was fine with FK) so it could be the Lid maybe or something I’ve done wrong. Anyway I had to use it as brew was underway and shouldn’t be a major problem because i am not fermenting under pressure.

However I’m now wondering about oxygen ingress once fermentation dies down. ii guess I’ll need to transfer to another fermenter to dry hop and cold crash to avoid this. Or will the ingress be minimal from such a small leak?

I unboxed my Apollo snub nose for its first brew yesterday, and the red prv leaked when I tested it so I swapped it with the one from my junion King but that still wasn’t watertight ( was fine with FK) so it could be the Lid maybe or something I’ve done wrong. Anyway I had to use it as brew was underway and shouldn’t be a major problem because i am not fermenting under pressure.

However I’m now wondering about oxygen ingress once fermentation dies down. ii guess I’ll need to transfer to another fermenter to dry hop and cold crash to avoid this. Or will the ingress be minimal from such a small leak?
You won't get oxygen ingress, have you applied any lube to your o rings and poppet?

No lube but the dry drop fitting has a o ring. I think the leak is from the dry hop port around the prv. as it’s not air or water tight surely there will be oxygen sucked in if I cold crash?

No lube but the dry drop fitting has a o ring. I think the leak is from the dry hop port around the prv. as it’s not air or water tight surely there will be oxygen sucked in if I cold crash?
If I am bottling when I cold crash I remove the lid and put cling film over the top secured with a rubber band. Or just loosen the lid. You wont get oxygen into the wort. Why I do this? I get a more accurate idea of the amount of CO2 in the beer at 1 ATM for when I am priming.
If kegging it doesn't matter how much CO2 is in the beer it can be adjusted afterwards.

There is a similar dry hop port on the lids of the earlier KK fermenters I have. I found that they need to be tightened down really hard to prevent pressure loss.

I have just purchased a snubnose fermenter and mine is also leaking from the prv. Any suggestions please

Yeah you really have to screw them down. Dry hop port that it. I I haven’t done a pressure Ferment yet, as it’s the closed transfer I’m most interested in, but that helped.

Yeah you really have to screw them down. Dry hop port that it. I I haven’t done a pressure Ferment yet, as it’s the closed transfer I’m most interested in, but that helped.
Yeh same here with the closed transfer as I like hoppy beers. I have tighten it right up. I get a bit worried with the metal on a plastic thread though. I haven't had a lot of time for all grain brews at the moment so I have been pimping alot cheap kits but I got the snubnose for my birthday and also got the Fresh Wort Kit from the malt miller. Bourne ipa , west coast ipa with centennial dry hop. All grain is head and shoulders above lme kits so I'm looking forward to this fresh wort kit.

Attachments

• 20230314_164353.jpg
    20230314_164353.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
I couldn't get the spundy to fit the gas post that came with the snubnose. Had to take it off my 5 litre keg.

Yeh same here with the closed transfer as I like hoppy beers. I have tighten it right up. I get a bit worried with the metal on a plastic thread though. I haven't had a lot of time for all grain brews at the moment so I have been pimping alot cheap kits but I got the snubnose for my birthday and also got the Fresh Wort Kit from the malt miller. Bourne ipa , west coast ipa with centennial dry hop. All grain is head and shoulders above lme kits so I'm looking forward to this fresh wort kit.
I tried 2 fresh wort kits from the home brew shop, they were very very good

I tried 2 fresh wort kits from the home brew shop, they were very very good
I know it works out being alot more expensive but I don't look at it like that. It's just great making a beer you might like and if you don't, so what, it's beer and still alot cheaper than pub prices 😉

Mine is leaking too, no matter how tight I tighten it. It's the black screw that goes under the PRV that's leaking.

Another thing I wish I hadn't bought. Why is it this difficult?

Edit: ignore me, I haven't put the little green ring in 😂

Mine is leaking too, no matter how tight I tighten it. It's the black screw that goes under the PRV that's leaking.

Another thing I wish I hadn't bought. Why is it this difficult?

Edit: ignore me, I haven't put the little green ring in 😂
Don't worry the guy from keg King did the same thing in the demonstration video on their YouTube channel 😂

Latest posts

Back