Sexism taken too far? [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should companies stop using scantily clad women to advertise?

• Yes its sexist.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • No they are pursuing a career.

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Having read a few comments in Godsdogs thread its obvious opinions differ greatly here (nothing new there) so is it time companies stopped using scantily clad women to advertise their products or in your view are these girls perusing a modelling career, know what they are doing so no harm done. (remember the recent F1 grid girls debate)

Having read a few comments in Godsdogs thread its obvious opinions differ greatly here (nothing new there) so is it time companies stopped using scantily clad women to advertise their products or in your view are these girls perusing a modelling career, know what they are doing so no harm done. (remember the recent F1 grid girls debate)

Models are only one part of it. The issue I have with this (and we’d have to acknowledge that what could be a legitimate marketing technique for one product isn’t going to translate to others) is what does such marketing say to fifty percent of the population of consumers. There’s absolutely no good reason why, for example, beer should be marketed only as something men would want to buy.

There are thousands of ways folk can make their living these days so I have no objection if a good looking gal makes hers by showing as much flesh as she's comfortable with, as I'm just as comfortable to have a good butchers

That's right - if you've got it, flaunt it. After all , you wouldn't expect someone with an IQ of 170 to be a binman, right?

I didn't vote... I'm not interested in scantily clad women and really don't care how people earn a living, as long as its legal.

Now... If the vote was... What would you do, if a scantily clad women was blindfolded and tied to your bed?

But I think that question is for a different forum!

The question for me isn't about advertising; as mentioned on the other thread sex sells and as long as there is consent then that's ok. Some girls are out of work as a model or pit girl as a result of the changes, they were not forced into it. The issue for me is more to do with the depiction, and the Stone Brewing issue of turning non consensual sex with drinking a beer. It lessens the issue into a laughing point, rape and assault should not be used in this way in any form.

A more interesting question might be along the lines of:

Would you feel happy ordering a pint of Sensual Hairy Man Nipples or Taut Sexy Beefcake* with clientele suggesting it's your problem if you suggest that the marketing might be a bit off.

*looks like I'm going to have to start writing erotic fiction ;P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back