Shake the wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, if you leave it a while before bottling/drinking the sulphur taste from the campden goes, a couple of days should do it! ( patience is your best friend)! And I belive pot sorbate is virtually tasteless

oldbloke said:
When a wine gets as low as 994 I'm not sure you really need to bother with stabilising - there's nowt left for the yeast to eat. I'd like to hear other opinions on this though. I've made quite a few that never got stabilised and were fine, but I do seem to be doing it more lately.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume that un-stabilised yeast would autolyse when the sugar in the wort has been used up? that's my thinking behind using stabiliser in dry wines anyway. Personally I stabilise and degas as soon as the ferment is over so I can leave the wine to settle out with the finings before doing the first rack. If the yeast is inhibited it removes the risk of autolysis and minimises the number of racks I have to do to one.

Latest posts

Back