ShaunFlints Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Flint

Reaction score
AG#2 Keptinis

I'll start with number 2, as number 1 was a complete fail..

Grain
- 2KG Marris Otter Pale Ale

Hops
- 30g Fuggles

Yeast
- SafAle s04 (quarter sachet)

Water
- 9.5L

Started with a 75 minute mash in a bag with 3.5L water @65C

I then transferred the mash into a wide and shallow pan, with the little liquid, and loaded it into the oven @200C for 3 hours.
The resulting mash had dried out considerably, had a very thin black burnt crust, but beneath was a beautiful, deep brown caramel mash.
(I luckily live above my bakery, so i have access to a stone deck oven, which worked rather well at this, the stone deck provided direct heat to the underside of the pan and the caramelization process was fairly quick)

While the mash was baking, I brought 3L water to boil, then added hops for 30 minutes, then cooled to 70C.

I then chucked the mash into a bucket, added the hop tea, and let sit for 15 minutes. I then transferred all into a fermenting bucket through a bag, and gave a thorough squeeze, the wort was thick and dark, and when i measured the OG with the temp correction, came out at 1.086, so i added 3L cold water, measured again and got 1.060.

I got just under 6L wort in the end, and pitched the yeast at 20C

After 4 days was FG 1.011, so I bottled without priming, with a plastic bottle tester on the side and left for another 5 days, cold crashed one yesterday to try, mild carbonation and great flavour, caramel and toffee, strong. I will wait another week and try again.

AG#3 Trying a Mild

Batch 11L

1.5KG Pale Malt
0.2KG Crystal Rye
80g Brown Sugar

10g Fuggles @boil
10g Goldings @boil
Used pellets in a little linen bag.

Mashed at 69C for 1 hour with half the preboil water
Dunk sparged with the other half of the preboil water at 70C

90 minute boil, added the sugar at the end and racked to FV around 75C with as little trub as possible (0.5L maybe?)

No chilled overnight in the fv and pitched Safale S04 at room temp, moved around the house hunting for below 20C and finally found a spot which is a steady 18C.

Had OG 1.040 before pitching, a little strong but didn't want to dilute it.

I was stalking some threads and read a few people mentioning late sugar additions, so gave it a try, and also only had crystal rye for colour at the time

AG#4 Roggenbier BIAB

Got a thing for rye, so wanted to give this a go.

11L

1KG Rye malt
1KG Pale Malt
200g Crystal Rye

30g Goldings @Boil

WLP300

Mashed at 67C with half preboil (overshot by 10 degrees but cooled it quick with cold water)
Dunk sparged at 80C with the other half

Boiled for 60mins, then tipped it straight into a FV at 75C, trub and all (which i regret)
No chilled overnight and pitched yeast at room temperature, then moved to a cool spot, around 17C

OG 1.049

Loads of trub, 20cm or so after a few days fermenting and after 6 days (I racked into a bottling bucket, primed to 3.1 with a sugar syrup) and then bottled.

I had a little taste, it's pretty rough, very very bitter, hopefully it will be better after 2 weeks in the bottles

Any clues to why its so bitter?

AG#5 Whitefriars (ale dedicated to a pub in Coventry thats long gone now) BIAB/No Chill

11L

OG 1.040
FG 1.010

2KG Pale Malt
0.25KG Munich

20g Goldings @60 mins
5g EKG @Flame out

Liberty Bell MJ M36 @ 22C

Mashed @ 69C 1 hour
Dunk Sparged @ 65C

60 Minute Boil

Let the wort cool down to 70C then siphoned into fermentor, lid on, and left to cool to ambient temp overnight (22C)
Pitched yeast and held 22C until fermented out.
Bottled at 3 weeks with 1.5 Volumes of Priming sugar
Conditioned at room temp for 3 months

Big success with this one, the whole prcess takes around 2 hours with the no chill BIAB method, really simple and very little clean up.
First taste taste at 1 month was disappointing, thin and boring and flat, but I left it alone after that.
After 3 months tastes great, needs to clear a bit more, but good colour and smooth, too drinkable.

Will try again, but maybe with some finings.

AG#6 Hefeweizen BIAB/No Chill

11L

OG 1.051
FG 1.008

1.3KG Wheat Malt
1.1KG Pale Malt

10g Hersbruker @ Boil

MJ M20 @21C

2 Step mash
@63C 35 mins
@71C 45 mins

Dunk Sparge @ 70C

60 minute boil

Again cooled the wort to 70C and siphoned to fermentor, pitched yeast at room temperature and moved to a warm spot, fermented warm at 30C to try for the bananas.
Bottled with 3.5 Volumes of sugar after 6 days
Chilled after 6 days at room temperature
Cold conditioned 6 days.

Super good, Bananas all the way, very refreshing and good head retention, a little weak on the ABV, effieciency was low. But big success, wife ordered more :D

AG#7 Old Ale BIAB/No Chill

OG 1.067
FG 1.008

2.2KG Pale Malt
0.30KG Crystal 150
0.10KG Black Malt
0.40KG Brown Sugar
0.20KG Brown Syrup

Goldings @ Boil to 45IBU

Mash @69C 60 minutes
Dunk Sparge
60 minute Boil
No chill syphon at 70C

Underpitched Voss Kveik @ 40C
Fermented 4 days @36C until FG1.008 (way too much attenuation)
Bottles to 1.8 volumes with table sugar

ambient conditioned for 3 months

Tasted after 3 month, good flavour but way too thin, will add lactose next time to try keep some body

AG#4 Roggenbier BIAB

Got a thing for rye, so wanted to give this a go.

11L

1KG Rye malt
1KG Pale Malt
200g Crystal Rye

30g Goldings @Boil

WLP300

Mashed at 67C with half preboil (overshot by 10 degrees but cooled it quick with cold water)
Dunk sparged at 80C with the other half

Boiled for 60mins, then tipped it straight into a FV at 75C, trub and all (which i regret)
No chilled overnight and pitched yeast at room temperature, then moved to a cool spot, around 17C

OG 1.049

Loads of trub, 20cm or so after a few days fermenting and after 6 days (I racked into a bottling bucket, primed to 3.1 with a sugar syrup) and then bottled.

I had a little taste, it's pretty rough, very very bitter, hopefully it will be better after 2 weeks in the bottles

Any clues to why its so bitter?
I would say to much Rye malt, I would like to know how clear you got it?

I would say to much Rye malt, I would like to know how clear you got it?
Hey, apologies for the late reply, have you brewed a roggenbier before? any tips on a bill change?

it was quite hazy, lovely colour, I dont have any left now and i didnt take a picture :(

Hey, apologies for the late reply, have you brewed a roggenbier before? any tips on a bill change?

it was quite hazy, lovely colour, I dont have any left now and i didnt take a picture :(
I have made a Summer rye 3 times now, once it came out perfect, other 2 times cloudy I will be making another one but changing the hop schedule to make sure that it isn't the late hop addition.
Here is a Roggenbier recipe from Gordon Strong. And note it is a double decotion mash.

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.050 FG = 1.012
IBU = 18 SRM = 17 ABV = 5%

Ingredients
7 lbs. (3.2 kg) German rye malt
2.5 lbs. (1.13 kg) Vienna malt
2.5 lbs. (1.13 kg) caramel wheat malt (50 °L)
2 oz. (57 g) Carafa® Special II malt
1 lb. (454 g) rice hulls
4 AAU Perle hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 8% alpha acids)
4 AAU Perle hops (5 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 8% alpha acids)
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen), White Labs WLP300 (Hefeweizen Ale), or SafAle WB-06 yeast
7⁄8 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step
This recipe uses reverse osmosis (RO) water. Add 1 tsp. of calcium chloride to the mash. This recipe uses a double decoction mash. Use enough water to have a moderately thick mash, 1.5 qts./lb. (3.1 L/kg). Stir the decoctions frequently to avoid scorching the grain.

Mash in the rye, Vienna, and wheat malts at 95 °F (35 °C); hold the mash at this temperature for 10 minutes. Pull the first thick decoction (about 1⁄3 of the mash), bring to a boil (resting for 10 minutes at 122 °F/50 °C and 10 minutes at 158 °F/70 °C; boil for 10 minutes); leave the main mash at 95 °F (35 °C) during this process. Remix the mashes to hit 122 °F (50 °C). Pull the second thick decoction (again, about 1⁄3 of the mash), heat to 147 °F (64 °C) for 20 minutes, boil for 10 minutes, leaving the main mash at 122 °F (50 °C) during this process. Remix the mashes to hit 158 °F (70 °C). Add the rice hulls, mixing fully, then rest for 15 minutes.

Add the Carafa® malt. Begin recirculating slowly and raise temperature to 168 °F (76 °C) and recirculate for 15 minutes. Sparge very slowly and collect 6.5 gallons (24.5 L) of wort. Cutting the mash bed in a tight crosshatch pattern will encourage runoff. Boil the wort for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back