Shiny Mashtun Build with lots of pics!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsbeer said:
Great job. Did you put a staniless bottom on the modification or just leave it open? But it looks great, very professional.

Thanks.
The second wooden circle forms the base so that its all enclosed - with a hole cut into it to make it easier to remove once the screws are take out.

Hi again OSG,

Can you tell me how you sealed the stainless steel tank connector through the bottom of the tun please ?

Did you use a washer between connector and tun bottom or some type of sealant ? I can't make it out in the photo but looks like a very thin washer if it is one ?

Cheers

A

AndyBWood said:
Hi again OSG,

Can you tell me how you sealed the stainless steel tank connector through the bottom of the tun please ?

Did you use a washer between connector and tun bottom or some type of sealant ? I can't make it out in the photo but looks like a very thin washer if it is one ?

Cheers

A

Hi Andy
I made a washer using a piece of Vossy's 1/2 inch silicone hose.
Cut a piece long enough, then cut through lengthwise, flatten it down as best as you can. Cut out centre hole, push on to fitting and cut excess from outer edge. It does tend to want to bend back into it's original shape, but once fitted it's fine.
Of course you could just make one from silicone sheet if you want.

Cheers
OSG

I've noticed that everyone that puts a bottom drain in their mash tun seems to make their own gaskets out of silicon sheets. I found these black rubber ones like the ones in the picture, and I'm wondering if there is some reason why I shouldn't use them. Silicon sheets like you guys use are not very cheap here. I don't really know why there is a huge price difference between the countries, but for some reason there is.

2edyudw.jpg

24b6j2v.jpg

I suppose it will leave a bit of a lip at the mouth of the drain, but I'm not sure that is a problem.

Back