Shiny Mashtun Build with lots of pics!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldspeckledgit

Reaction score
This is how I built my MT. I decided to raise it up on a base to allow the necessary pipework from the bottom drain to run underneath. I thought it might be easier than cutting into the base with an angle grinder which is ok if you are good at that sort of thing. I was afraid I might ruin my nice shiny pot!
I used a 50ltr thermopot. First I drilled a pilot hole and then a 10mm hole in the centre from the inside right through the outer skin.

001.jpg

Then a 50mm hole from the outside. This would enable me to use a qmax cutter on the inner skin for the stainless steel skin fitting to for the bottom drain. I cut out the foam insulation from the hole in order to fit the bottom drain and 90 degree elbow, then replaced insulation with a piece of polystyrene cut to shape.

004-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

016.jpg

018-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

Then I cut two wooden circles exactly the same size as the pot. The idea was to screw some strips of wood between these two circles so that the base was about 100mm deep. I could then accommodate the pipework in the space in between.
I cut a 60mm hole in one of the wooden circles and cut from this a slot to the outside edge (see pics)
016-1.jpg

011-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

015-2.jpg

016-2.jpg

019-4.jpg

I then fitted a strip of stainless steel 1500mm x 125mm to base by clamping, drilling and bolting together.
023-1.jpg

026.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

Cut a hole with the qmax for the ball valve, and fitted the pipework.
040.jpg

042.jpg

042.jpg

Fitted ball valve, then screwed bottom circle in place ( having cut a 60mm hole to make it easy to remove in future if I need to).
As the wooden part of the base is 100mm deep and the s/s strip is 125mm, it left 25mm of steel for the pot to slip into.
I then put a few self tapping screws through s/s strip and bottom lip of pot to hold it all together.

006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

045.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

Thats about it - I'm really pleased with the result, and relieved that I've now finished my build (for now!) and I can get on with the good bit of this hobby!!

Oldspeckledgit said:
....... Thats about it - I'm really pleased with the result, and relieved that I've now finished my build (for now!) and I can get on with the good bit of this hobby!!

There's a helluva lot of good bits to this hobby, building AND brewing :cheers: :cheers:

that looks awesome. I like your. extension on the bottom. I'm just waiting for Bergland to get back to me with a price for 2x 100L stock and 1x 80L thermo

Thank you OSG!

This is exactly how I'm going to do mine! The thermo is currently with Rob having the hole in the bottom done. I can't really see a better way to do it without going the whole welded in ring that Rob does on his. But stainless welding isn't the easiest I'm led to believe...

Where did you get you your strip of stainless for the bottom if you don't mind me asking?

Well done... :thumb: brilliant job. I put bottom drains on both of my 80ltr mash and 100ltr boiler, but I just used a couple of timber bearers, yours looks the mutts nuts... :clap:

Thanks for all the kind comments.
The stainless steel strip came from a company called Warley Polishing Ltd. T/A Polished Metal Offcuts.
They are on ebay. They list loads of stainless steel of different sizes and thicknesses.
They didn't have the size I wanted listed but I emailed them on [email protected]
They were very helpful and supplied grade 304 brushed s/steel 1500mm x 125mm x 1mm thick for a total of £23 including courier charge. It came well taped to a plank of wood!
I think they have a website http://www.polishedmetaloffcuts.com

Nice one OSG , thanks for putting this up , consider it nicked :grin:
Now if you can just sort out my loses to 485g of hops that'll be great. :rofl:
cheers Dan :cheers:

Thanks again OSG. Great build and thanks for the link...

My total rip off pictures will follow soon. :lol:

Very nicely done. One day I too shall shamelessly rip off your idea. :D

Im going to be disgustingly honest, im sat here with my ipad using the WiFi while on the loo (love modern Technology) Mrs Wife has just asked "why on earth are you clapping on the toilet?!?!"

Great job!

Nicely Done OSG,

Can you tell where you obtained the stainless steel tank connector please ? I've found a few on line but very expensive.

Cheers

AndyBWood said:
Nicely Done OSG,

Can you tell where you obtained the stainless steel tank connector please ? I've found a few on line but very expensive.

Cheers
Look for Stainless Through Deck Fitting . . . Most Chandlers will have them

Latest posts

Back