should i fine/clear my wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmrevis

Reaction score
I brewed up some Elderberry and Bramble wine in September. All went well and I calculated a stregnth of around 14% after fermentation.
I racked it off into a clean demi-john and its been sitting with the airlock settling. Its 3 months old next week. There is a small layer of sediment on the bottom of the demi-john. Its hard to see though how much is still in suspension.
As i'm new to the completely home made wines (i.e not a kit) i'm unsure what to do next. Should i use finings and bottle, no finings and bottle, or leave in the demi-john longer? I'm worried about it going "off" in the demi-john.

Advice appreciated.

Elderberry & Blackberry should completely clear of its own accord, it might be tricky to see, particularly if you've racked it recently, try shining a small torch through it from behind.

I would consider anything with Elderberry to be a long-term wine, leave it at least another 3-6 months in DJ, re-rack as required. The jar should be topped up to the base of the neck.

i've tried shining a light through and it doesnt help. i'm just worried about it going off in the DJ, just like corked wine. I'm not planning on drinking for at least one year anyway to give it time to mature but thought it would be better in bottles than in the DJ?

If you don't need the DJ back to re-load, it will age better in DJ than in the bottles. After 2nd racking and as long as the jar is topped up, there really shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, leave it in the DJ i you can, I put on some of the same stuff in September, mine has cleared but I have racked it once and left al the crud behind.

Back