Show us your Pushbikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still riding my late 80s steel - about 70k on the clock now

kvtr06a.jpg

think that bald patch is a camera fault.

In winter I wear my summer kit but just ride harder to keep warm.

Only joking it gets freezing here. I do like to stick a few layers on when it gets cold. Winter kit is starting to appear already. New set of lights are needed now and someone as swiped my rear light

What cycling clothing do you guys wear on the colder autumn/winter day rides to keep warm? I went out the other morning and it was a tad nippy.
I like using Merino wool for the base layer. Got a few different ones The latest I bought from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013VC2VPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At £30.00 it's the cheapest I've found.
Good thing about Merino is that you can wear it in cool or cold conditions and it doesn't smell at the end of a ride like a lot of the man made fibre one's do.
Got various roubaiix bibs, favourite being Castelli nanoflex. A bit expensive, but my brother works in a bike shop so I get them at cost.

.m
I like using Merino wool for the base layer. Got a few different ones The latest I bought from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013VC2VPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good thing about Merino is that you can wear it in cool or cold conditions and it doesn't smell at the end of a ride like a lot of the man made fibre one's do.
Got various roubaiix bibs, favourite being Castelli nanoflex. A bit expensive, but my brother works in a bike shop so I get them at cost.
Does he deliver

Yes Merino takes some beating, I have some Castelli merino socks which are fabulous

@jjsh, @Galena, @trummy and @Mungri. Thanks guys for your help on the subject of cold weather cycling clothes. I have to admit, I had no clue what most of you were referring to or talking about and had to do quite a lot of Googling to find out what a bib, Roubaix, lobster, Castelli Alpha, merino, Sorpasso Bib tights, warmers, Pampas jacket and nanoflex all were. I did say right at the start that I wasn't a proper cyclist. With the clothing mentioned the images going through my head were more Olivia Newton John or maybe Jennifer Beals (in Flashdance) rather than Lance Armstrong. My idea of cycling clothes were jeans and tshirt, and then put a jumper on when it gets cold, hence my question. LOL.
But seriously, I should have added that I'm not looking for expensive designer wear, I can't afford it and probably don't really need it, but something reasonably priced that will keep me warm if I choose to do a ride on a colder morning. That chap @Hopperty and his photos of riding in the snow, that looked incredible but I'm sorry mate, you can keep that to yourself. LOL. When it's like that I'm either at home in front of the fire sipping on a rich, lush, dark ale, or down the pub next to the fire with a pint in my hands (hey, there's a theme forming here).
I did like the look of that Merino Long Sleeved Thermal Top on Amazon, not too badly priced either. I'll have to have a look around for some gloves and maybe thermal trousers that are warm and suitable. My neck was freezing the other morning (I know, it hasn't got really cold yet, so I'm probably nesh), so something for that too would be awesome. You've given me some idea of kit used, I'll just have to see if I can find some budget versions. Thanks guys.

Love the winter cycling scenes. Reminds me when many many years ago I and a friend did a cycle camping tour of Yorkshire late March. We cycled up to the Tan Hill pub, pitched the tent and waited for it to open - only it didn't! Hot coffee and biscuits sustained us that evening. Next morning we woke in the dark due to about 3 - 4 inch of snow lying on the tent. The road down to Richmond was very slippery under the fresh snow so we had to walk until we lost altitude. - A month earlier on a training run in the peak district we had been cycling in shirt sleeves!

@jjsh, @Galena, @trummy and @Mungri. Thanks guys for your help on the subject of cold weather cycling clothes. I have to admit, I had no clue what most of you were referring to or talking about and had to do quite a lot of Googling to find out what a bib, Roubaix, lobster, Castelli Alpha, merino, Sorpasso Bib tights, warmers, Pampas jacket and nanoflex all were. I did say right at the start that I wasn't a proper cyclist. With the clothing mentioned the images going through my head were more Olivia Newton John or maybe Jennifer Beals (in Flashdance) rather than Lance Armstrong. My idea of cycling clothes were jeans and tshirt, and then put a jumper on when it gets cold, hence my question. LOL.
But seriously, I should have added that I'm not looking for expensive designer wear, I can't afford it and probably don't really need it, but something reasonably priced that will keep me warm if I choose to do a ride on a colder morning. That chap @Hopperty and his photos of riding in the snow, that looked incredible but I'm sorry mate, you can keep that to yourself. LOL. When it's like that I'm either at home in front of the fire sipping on a rich, lush, dark ale, or down the pub next to the fire with a pint in my hands (hey, there's a theme forming here).
I did like the look of that Merino Long Sleeved Thermal Top on Amazon, not too badly priced either. I'll have to have a look around for some gloves and maybe thermal trousers that are warm and suitable. My neck was freezing the other morning (I know, it hasn't got really cold yet, so I'm probably nesh), so something for that too would be awesome. You've given me some idea of kit used, I'll just have to see if I can find some budget versions. Thanks guys.

Aldi have had cycling kit recently and is cheap and pretty good.
Might be some left.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?q=Cyc...ementTotalCount=0&secondPlacementTotalCount=0

Lidl must be due some soon.
If you have a local decathlon then they are pretty cheap,
Not all the clothing is mamil power ranger either if thats not up your street.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/I bought a btwin road bike from there and find it excellent, especially for the price.

I used to ride 16 mile round trip for work and the odd 25/30 mile jaunt on days off and found lidl/aldi stuff excellent in cold/wet conditions. Regardless of what some gear snobs may say.
Although be careful of water proof which tends to be boil in the bag 👍 water repellent/resistant is usually the thing. You will get damp but no more than sweating your nads off in a waterproof plastic bag mac lol.

Here's a couple of my bikes.
Btwin

IMG_20180513_101701022_HDR.jpg

Giant defy 1

Screenshot_20201002-162502~2.png

At the moment @Rigsby666 I'm still using summer gear plus arm and leg warmers so I can take them off if the sun comes out and it gets hot. I'll move to long bibs and long sleeve top when I find I'm never taking the warmers off, then into thermal bibs and tops when they aren't warm enough, then onto base layers plus thermals, lobster gloves, neck warmers, and so on as it gets progressively colder. I feel that if you wrap up enough, it's never too cold to ride.

Where do you get the bib longs from that aren't thermal/Roubaix ?

I couldn't find any anywhere,
Just have a pair of none bib, (my bibs are all Roubaix). but prefer the bibs for comfort and none thermal are ideal for spring/autumn,
I need to get my **** in gear and get back out on the bike.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/I bought a btwin road bike from there and find it excellent, especially for the price.

I used to ride 16 mile round trip for work and the odd 25/30 mile jaunt on days off and found lidl/aldi stuff excellent in cold/wet conditions. Regardless of what some gear snobs may say.
Thanks for the great tips. That Decathlon site looks really good. I'll keep an eye on Aldi/Lidl too.

Latest posts

Back