Simply Lager Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
I've had a Simply Lager in the bottle for about 5 weeks now and I thought I'd have a stab at my first review..

Firstly, I should note that these Simply kits have the most comprehensive instructions I've ever seen on a kit and are great for a beginner like me.

This kit comes in a bag rather than a tin, easy to warm up, easy to pour. A warning though: the yeast packet is stuck to the bottom of the bag and you need to peel the yeast off before you drop the bag in hot water to loosen up. This left a very sticky residue on the bottom of the bag which I didnt notice and it was a ballache to scrub off my saucepan. You have been warned!

Starting gravity: 1040
Final gravity: 1014

Brewed with a beer kit enchancer. Fermentation was fine (about 12 days if I remember rightly) and the ABV came out at around 3.5%, a little lower than I'd have liked but the instructions do not specify a desired ABV.

The Coopers PET bottles (40 x 500ml) have carbed up well and the result is a light lager which has a very sweet aftertaste. The head goes crazy in a 'lager glass' with a headstarter but is flat as a pancake in a beer glass.

I am hoping that tht aftertaste dies down over time. It almost tastes like it hasn't fully fermented out - but my gravity was stable for a couple of days.

For me this is a good first attempt at a lager and this Simply kit was about £15 including the enchancer, or 38p a bottle, about 43p with the bottle lids.

3 out of 5 for me.

Cheers :drink:

Mike

I reckon it should have got to a lower FG than that, more like 1010. One of the tricky bits of brewing is fettling the yeast to finish the job, sometimes. I think it does explain the sweetness. It may ferment further in the bottles. You are using screw caps which is good, as you will be able to release the pressure. So it may work out.

i have this simply lager in bottles now for two weeks
my start gravity was 1040 and final gravity was 1008
got 45 bottles so hope its going to be a nice lager.
kit was on sale £7.99 great starter kit........... #80)

Latest posts

Back