single hop pale ale - northern brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strata

Reaction score
The local shop had some of this years Northern Brewer in, not a hop I've used before so I thought I'd try a single hop brew.

1.25kg pale malt mashed 50, 65, 78
200g amber malt
1kg pale extract
Gypsum
Burton yeast

Hops 30g 90min, 30g 30min, 30g steep

12l
Og 1060 into cask at 1012

I always have a sneaky half when I'm casking it, tastes great with a powerful tangy bite to it. Definitely one worth bottling.

I think I'm a convert to its punchy green aroma.

I'm wondering - I'd like to explore the world of single hop brews a little more. If I keep the grain the same, which is going to give me better impression of the character of the hops - using the same quantity regardless of variety or attempting to go for the same IBU for each batch?

I think it depends on what style you're after exactly. I wouldn't want a hop bomb from Marynka, a subtle spiciness is what it does best - but go for Galaxy, and you can't use enough for me.

One good way is to grab a 6 pack of something basic (even dare I say like a lager,) and use a french press/cafetiere to steep the hops into that beer. You'll get an idea of how the hops taste.

Citra should be your next punt, imo. Victoria's Secret makes a wonderful single hop too, tastes like 3 hops in one.

Latest posts

Back