Greg hughes single hop pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I did this last Friday, Amarillo single hop pale ale from Greg hughes.
4.7kg extra pale MO
235g cara malt
18 litres mash
14.5 sparge
Amarillo 8.9%
28g @ boil
15g @ 15 min +protofloc
15g @ 5 min
42g @ hopstand 80°c 20 mins
SafAle 04
OG 10.48
After 5 days it's at 1010 but its very bland and dry. I know it's early but does this seem OK to anyone. All my figures were very close and it worked out about 74% efficiency

SO4 produces bland beer.

Dang !
I’ve just used S04 myself for the first time.
Tend to use US 05 which has always produced good results.
Ah well, you live and learn, have to wait and see how it turns out.

@Libigage hope your brew goes well, let us know if you dry hop... I might do the same.

Cheers James.

Dang !
I’ve just used S04 myself for the first time.
Tend to use US 05 which has always produced good results.
Ah well, you live and learn, have to wait and see how it turns out.

@Libigage hope your brew goes well, let us know if you dry hop... I might do the same.

Cheers James.
I actually just tried it again and it tastes alot better than when I had just got in from work last night. Fresh taste buds perhaps. Might not mess with this one and leave it, it's only done 5 days so I might package after 10 days. Think I'll keg half and bottle the rest. I'll let you know

Hi, I did this last Friday, Amarillo single hop pale ale from Greg hughes.
4.7kg extra pale MO
235g cara malt
18 litres mash
14.5 sparge
Amarillo 8.9%
28g @ boil
15g @ 15 min +protofloc
15g @ 5 min
42g @ hopstand 80°c 20 mins
SafAle 04
OG 10.48
After 5 days it's at 1010 but its very bland and dry. I know it's early but does this seem OK to anyone. All my figures were very close and it worked out about 74% efficiency
Hi Libigage,
I was just browsing the GH book for a single hop recipe and sort of decided between this one and the Cascade. I then found your thread. Just wondering why you halved the amount of hops compared to GHs recipe. I haven't brewed with Amarillo yet, can it be a bit overpowering? Cheers. John

Currently got the Saaz variant of this going myself! The recipe in the book calls Carapils, was it an intentional switch to use Caramalt or just a typo?

Hi Libigage,
I was just browsing the GH book for a single hop recipe and sort of decided between this one and the Cascade. I then found your thread. Just wondering why you halved the amount of hops compared to GHs recipe. I haven't brewed with Amarillo yet, can it be a bit overpowering? Cheers. John

The original recipe was based on Amarillo with 5% AA and the OP used Amarillo with 8.9% AA, that should account for the difference in weights!

Hi Libigage,
As honeymonster said the AA's were higher,
As for the caramalt, it was all I had and when I googled them they were pretty similar

5% alpha acids is very low for Amarillo, and an odd choice for GH to use. I don't have my copy of his book to hand, but I wouldn't scale down the whirlpool addition because this is where the aroma comes from. I'd also be sure.to dry hop with it.

I’m not the world’s best brewer but my word I nailed this one. Just had my first bottle tonight after a February brew, it’s still got 4 weeks before it is fully conditioned. Delicious.

Hi Libigage,

Cascade smash with Nottingham CML midland yeast is a stunner.

Some time ago I thought I would try and brew a smash and chose amarillo (because I always liked Crouch Vale Amarillo). I just used maris otter and amarillo and notty yeast. It came out really nicely, so much so that it has become one of the beers I brew regularly.

Some time ago I thought I would try and brew a smash and chose amarillo (because I always liked Crouch Vale Amarillo). I just used maris otter and amarillo and notty yeast. It came out really nicely, so much so that it has become one of the beers I brew regularly.
What is you favorite hop schedule, ie quantity and timings. I would love to know the perfect quantities and times to get the best from my chosen hop. I don't tend to use bittering hops as I seem to get enough from late additions, whirlpool and dry hop.

What is you favorite hop schedule, ie quantity and timings. I would love to know the perfect quantities and times to get the best from my chosen hop. I don't tend to use bittering hops as I seem to get enough from late additions, whirlpool and dry hop.
Better.
@Brewshed can you share the recipe please?

Happy to share the recipe.

Based on 22L
OG -1052

Maris otter pale - 5Kg

Amarillo (usually about 7.5% aa)
54g - start of boil
25g - 25 mins
25g - 5 mins
80g - flame out

Yeast - Nottingham

Mash - 60 mins (66 - 67c)
Boil - 60 mins

I did post the recipe once before and someone came back and said it came out with very high IBU. All I can say is that, while it is hoppy, it does not taste unbalanced and is now one of my regular brews. Give it a go and see what you think.

I am a smash fan.
Fancy a change for the summer, this has just shot to the top of the list.

Would your 80g flame out be somthing like 85c for 30mins?

Probably a bit hotter than that. I put them in pretty much as soon as the boil is finished. You may find 80 degrees works well though if you like a little less happiness. The 30 mins is about right. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back