Siphon tragedy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mguthriem

Reaction score
So, last night I attempted to siphon a freshly fermented batch from a container with a tap at the bottom into my corny.

I quickly noticed there was a leak where my hose connected to the tap as some beer came out. By holding it in place I stopped the leak, but then noticed what can only be described as a whirlpool of bubbles running all the way from the tap, inside the siphon tube.

Question: could the siphon action suck in air or were those suckers residual co2 forced out by turbulent flow?

I'll find out in a couple of days if I have nicely carbonated vinegar, but thought I'd seek predictions.

Thanks!

As an aside I googled siphoning...seems the physics is not as cut and dry as you would expect: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon

I quite often see bubbles (and lots of them) when I'm siphoning, never had a bad brew yet...

I quite often see bubbles (and lots of them) when I'm siphoning, never had a bad brew yet...

I've noticed the same when using the auto siphon, they seem to pull air in at the top of the external tube, i've found filling this with beer just after you started siphoning solves the problem, easy enough to fill them up using a jug of beer from the FV.

I've just done the same racked off from fermenter from bottom tap.
Through a tube to the bottom of new fermentation barrel.
My conclusion in the weight of the liquid pulling down in the pipe. Is causing a small vacuum. Causing the liquid to degass as I was running at a slow rate. With the valve acting as a sort of venturi
That's my guess

Back