Slight cidery taste.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crasher600

Reaction score
I have just racked a brupaks wheat beer to a keg and had the obligatory taste. I have never done a wheat beer before but am quite worried about the cidery taste and smell i am getting, its not vinegar tasting but i am worried it is infected. Has anyone else had similar with a wheat beer after fermentation. Or is it screwed :pray:

Perfectly normal for some wheat beers to have a "cidery" quality :thumb:
It can be an acquired taste :?
My advice would be to drink it and acquire the taste :cheers:

:cheers: happy days then. Its pretty stressful this brewing lark if you are a noob you know. so far i have asked at least one question for each of my four brews :oops: . Questions have so far only revolved around the brewing, i think i can manage alone with the drinking. Wish me luck with this one i shall do my best to 'acquire' the taste. always up for something new

It maybe stressful brewing, but what you make helps to reduce the stress levels :party:
Don't worry we were all new once :)
When I were a lad (need old git smilie ) I used to ring the local homebrew shop for help or refer to my Dave Line books :wha:
I preferred visiting the lhbs in person though as he always had plenty of sample brews he was willing to let you taste :drink:

you can get a cidery taste from cane sugar too if you added that into the primary ferment ;)

Hi

I have just bottled Brupaks West Riding Wheat.

I accidentally tasted some whilst siphoning, and it didn't taste good. It doesn't smell like the previous few kits i've done either (admittedly none of them were Wheat Beers). Tastes kinda like vomit, for want of a better expression, and the smell was quite yeastie.

I've drank lots of Erdinger, and drank plenty of wheat beer when i visited Hamburg last year, so with regards to it being an aquired taste, I know ilike it.

Once this has time to carbonate and settle and clear do you think it will taste any different to how it does now?

Crasher600, how did yours work out?

Cheers

Well done on your wheat beer.

shearclass said:
Crasher600, how did yours work out?

Don't hold your breath for an answer -Crasher600 hasn't been on the site since October.

I have just bottled Brupaks West Riding Wheat... Tastes kinda like vomit, for want of a better expression, and the smell was quite yeastie.
My very limited brewing experience includes a Brewferm Triple kit, a strong Belgian beer. I sampled some right after the fermentation and it had a sicky twang. I proceeded with a couple of weeks of dry hopping [I'm not sure that Cascades are very Belgian, but I love the aroma!] and bottled it the other night. I had a slurp out of the Little Bottler when I'd finished and it was rather lovely. I now have to leave the bottles to condition for a few months, which is going to be frustrating... but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'm not suggesting you dry hop the wheat beer of course but I believe that a lot of beers [especially lagers] have off flavours when young and these do clear up with ageing. Leave the bottles for a few weeks and I'm sure you'll see a lot of improvement.

Thanks for the reassurance crisparmour.

i'll give it 4 weeks then will sample one, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Tried one yesterday, which i know is very soon as it's only been bottled for two weeks, but ti was absolutely disgusting. Undrinkable.

Tasted like a sour cider. (I don't like cider)

What would have caused thsi taste? I'll try another one in abuot a month, but as it currently doesn't taste anything like beer, i don't see that it will be any better.

Actually, stuff it, I'm kidding myself. It's clearly ruined (for some reason), so might as well open all 38 bottles and tip them down the sink :(

Perhaps a wild yeast? The sour cider sounds a bit like a Lambic. An acquired taste indeed [I can deal with it]. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Back