Sloe Wine to start the New Year Off!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloeBrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I had about 3 kilos of sloes in my freezer which I hadn't got round to putting in some gin and fancied something a bit different, so thought I'd give Sloe Wine a go. I've seen about 5 different recipes, all different, so I thought I'd combine a couple and see what happens!

Ingredients:
2Kg Sloes
1.5kg Sugar (plus 500g for secondary fermentation)
500g Raisins
2 litres red grape juice
1 x wilkos red grape juice concentrate (220g)
Juice of two lemons
Pectolase
1/4 tsp of marmite (yeast nutrient)
Cup of strong black tea

Burgundy yeast

Method:
Pour 1.5kg over the sloes in a large pan and bash up with a rolling pin to break the skins. Whizz the raisins in a blender and add to the sloes. Cover with water and bring to boil, then allow to cool (this is to sterilise the fruit). Once cooled, transfer to a fermentation vessel, add the red grape juice, red grape concentrate, lemon juice, tea, pectolase and yeast nutrient. Top up to two gallons with water. Once below 24 Degrees C, pitch the Burgundy yeast.

I actually forgot the raisins when I did this, so my SG was 1.080, before I quickly boiled the raisins up in a little water and added them in, so not sure how much that will have changed. SG would have been higher, but I have heard that too much sugar can stop the yeast working, so I plan to add a further 500g, once the main fermentation has finished, probably by making a syrup then syphoning onto the syrup, using a muslin bag over the syphon to strain the must.

No idea what this will turn out like, but should be an interesting experiment. The hardest part will be waiting a year for it to mature!

This has been in the FV for two days, yeast seemed to get off to a very slow start and had no airlock activity. However, this is a new 15 litre FV which I've not used before and the lid's not that tight, so the CO2 could be escaping from somewhere, as the "broth" is fizzing and releasing bubbles and smells like a very fruity WoW!

Fingers crossed :pray:

Just strained this off into 2 demijohns with 500g of syrup to kick start the secondary fermentation. Had a sneaky taste, can definitely taste the sloes, but it's still very early days :grin:

Lovely colour though

my5e4ysy.jpg

looking good. I really want to try this recipe. I've done a few WOWs but am getting bored of them now so i want to start making wines with fruit.

Latest posts

Back