smack pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggerg

Reaction score
So my adventure into AG is small so I can be 12litre batches. I prefer to make lager so as I have read that lager needs alot more yeast to start with would a smack pack be enough for my size batches without having to make a starter?

Yes you'd have enough . You may need to smack the pack a few days before using as they can be slow to expand (which means it'll start nicely )

once , i like vials better . They are fine but it's the waiting , will it take a couple of hours or a couple of days to be ready for pitching .

I used a smack pack for my lager I breed in October. I used 2007 from memory which is a pilsner yeast.

I took the pack and grew it up twice so the yeast was about double original size and very active/fresh. That said, I was brewing 20 litres and not 12 like you are.

As mentions above, smack the pack and make sure it's swollen and you'll be fine.

K

Its all i use, I keep the pack in the fridge until the morning of brew day. I smack the pack about 3 hours before i need it and lay it on the heated floor, by the time I am ready for it the pack are nearly bursting.

I use 1 pack per 20l wort. They are expensive though and since I make 40l at a time I intend to start making starters at some point.

Back