Small Barrel Tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uzzy

Reaction score
So I have a couple of small pressure barrels with taps but I need to clean them. The taps have two lugs on them. My question is is it threaded or a push fit as I cannot budge them, is there a "special" tool required ?

Regards

If they look like this they are threaded
1538518432391913044141.jpg

Yes thats the type is it just screwed into the barrel or does it split for cleaning. How best way of cleaning the inside of the tap mechanisism ?

Hi!
I wouldn't bother removing the tap.
Put some Wizz Oxi or PBW solution (hot) in the barrel and allow it to run through the tap. While it's running, close the tap and allow the solution to sit in the tap for a couple of minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

They unscrew from the barrel. Also you can pull the tap apart at the flange bit, it takes a bit of welly, I've done it myself and they don't leak when you put them back together. As Bigcol49 says though, it's probably not worth the effort.

I don’t like to disagree but these taps can be a source of infection and do need stripping down at intervals an fully cleaning. Crud can build up between the seals on the moveable bit that is not shifted by an assembled clean.
Rather than prising apart you can use a 1/2 socket extension to give it a bit of a wack to get them apart. On reassembly a bit of food grade lube on the two seal ridges will reduce further crud ingress.

I don’t like to disagree but these taps can be a source of infection and do need stripping down at intervals an fully cleaning.
Hi!
I think that disassembly is unnecessary.
Wizz Oxi or PBW will attack any crud that's in the tap and dissolve it. The cleaning solution will go wherever the beer has been.
I use it on stained cups as, unlike bleach, it cleans without pitting the surface. I have a stainless steel vacuum mug that gets stained after regular use, but Wizz Oxi cleans away the crud leaving it sparkling.

Hi!
I think that disassembly is unnecessary.
Wizz Oxi or PBW will attack any crud that's in the tap and dissolve it. The cleaning solution will go wherever the beer has been.
I use it on stained cups as, unlike bleach, it cleans without pitting the surface. I have a stainless steel vacuum mug that gets stained after regular use, but Wizz Oxi cleans away the crud leaving it sparkling.
I agree to disagree. The beer is left in contact with the tap for potentially several weeks which can lead to some beer getting past the first tap seal. Cleaning for say a few hours will not get the cleaning fluid to where it is needed as it does not have enough time or pressure to penetrate the first seal.
I have found this from experience of crud getting in to the tap interface and potential infections.

Back