smoked porter recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam.k

Landlord.
Reaction score
hey guys, ive been really enjoying the ridgeway brewing beer 'Querkus' and would love taking a punt at making a smokey porter.
does anyone have any idea about what malts would need to be used?

Smoked/peated malt, to be adrupt. AKA Rauchmalt...

Querkus is an exceptional beer indeed, I can see why you want to clone it! It's smoked and oaked, so you will be using smoked malt and ageing on oak chips which you can pick up at your LHBS or online for a few quid.

Here's a description;

ITEM DESCRIPTION
To get a subtle smokiness we brew with Scottish peated whisky malt, English pale and roasted malts and boil only whole leaf Goldings hops. Querkus is then patiently cold matured over pieces of old French oak barrels. The flavours from the toasted wood slowly seep into the beer; bottling only when we think it is right.

So Pale Malt, Peated Malt, and Roasted Barley to the right colour at a minimum. I assume by the taste it only had a bittering addition, but you can add a little aroma if you think it fits. I can't remember the beer that well.

Good luck!

it looks like peat smoked is used at a low percentage whereas rauchmalt is used as a base malt. best bet is to google for things like smoked porter recipe, have a look at some examples and see what they thought of the flavour...

Peat smoked at around 1% or as some fellow Brewers suggest "homeopathic" amounts.

As for rauchnalt maybe 10 to 20%...

well ive got some medium smoked peat malt coming, some whiskey barrel wood chips and wlp013.
I think I will use some bram X and fuggles and try to concoct a recipe, god knows how many wood chips to mature the brew on, I guess I want to sterilize them with a decent single malt? don't want any **** working its way into the brew if you catch my drift.

I brewed this on Sunday and I'm looking forward to it.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Ale (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 42.7 %
4.00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 34.2 %
1.50 kg Brown Malt (Crisp) (128.1 EBC) Grain 3 12.8 %
0.70 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 6.0 %
0.50 kg Amber (Crisp) (54.2 EBC) Grain 5 4.3 %
100.00 g Northdown [8.16 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 38.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 7.0 mins) Other 8 -
3.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9 -