Sodium percarbonate 5kg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just getting low myself so bought this on, cost me £11 delivered for 2kg. Cheers! Cheaper than the vanish oxi action I have now.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Star San now?

This arrived promptly by the way, the bag was labelled and all in order.

A good source of sodium percarbonate ( sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) is Rye Oil

https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/sodium-percarbonate/
Sodium percarbonate is a very effective disinfectant and is a safe way of applying hydrogen peroxide. It decomposes in water to form sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The sodium carbonate boosts the pH and the hydrogen peroxide does the disinfecting.

The various oxy-cleaners are typically sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate which acts a a builder and PH buffer. Being lazy I tend to use the percarbonate on its own with hot water which really makes it fizz. This is the main component in the Vanish (and clones) stain removers. I disinfect all of my brewing equipment with a food grade caustic cleaner and then with sodium percarbonate and rinse 3 times. You do not need to rinse the full vessel volume, just enough to thoroughly dilute any residues.

I have never been a fan of Starsan. I bought a litre about 5 years ago and have hardly used it. Having looked at the label it is at best a biostat, not a disinfectant. It contain 50% phosphoric acid and 5-15% DDBSA (dodecylbenzene sulphonic acid). DDBSA was one of the early detergent alkylate sulphonic acids form days of old. It works as a powerful surfactant but has fallen out of favour due to poor biodegradability and is being phased out. It would be pretty easy to make an alternative. Phosphoric acid and some washing up liquid with a bit of water would do the trick but I cannot see the point. I certainly would not use Starsan without rinsing as DDBSA will cling to the metal/ plastic surfaces, in exactly the way it was intended, and will make your beer foam.

Back