Campden tablets Vs Sodium metabisulphite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having used a tub of Campden tablets to dechlorinate water for a long time, I have finally got to buy more but can only get powdered sodium metabisulphite from Malt Miller. Can anyone let me know how much powder to use for 35 litres of strike/sparge water please?
Thank you.

I have used the malt miller sodium metabisulphite for past year instead of camped tablets. I put a teaspoon ish worth in, not saying that's correct..

I have always used campden tablets and they weigh about 2 grams I believe. I use half a tablet for a brew so 1 gram but never used the powder

One tablet is around 0.5g, depending on supplier. I was using Brewpaks ones (approx. 7mm diameter) before switching to Sodium Metabisulphite powder.

Last edited:
Ignore my post Sadfield is correct I have just weighed my tablets and they are approx 0.5g.
So I am using 0.25g in my standard brews

I believe boiling your water off gases the chlorine, but does nothing for chloramine. Campden will see off both.

A teaspoon sounds like an awful lot for a standard batch.

Back