Something Broke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doyley3731

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In the middle of my 3rd homebrew now. It's almost ready, or so I thought. I'm making a nice malt lager this time, something similar to Corona I guess.

Fermentation went well, a few days ago I transferred it to my pressure barrel and this time I added some finings as my last couple of brews ended up quite cloudy. I have had it in a warm place for a couple of days and I have just moved it outside to a cool place to get ready for the fun part. I decided to take a little sample and test the pressure in there and get a hydrometer reading. There is absolutely no pressure in the barrel, the beer just trickled out. There are bits of something floating in the lager. I think it's the finings. Also the hydrometer reading is the same as when I put it in the pressure barrel with further sugar a few days ago. Something has gone **** up. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I did add sugar .. And it was about 3-4 days. Hmm I'll try move it back inside. It's been fine after a couple of days on my other brews, strange.

Hi guys,

It's been back inside since posting. I've just tested it again and it's pretty much the same. It's cleared up somewhat now but there is still now pressure in the barrel and the hydrometer reading is still the same 1020. I had a taste and it is quite sweet. Is it fooked? Is there anything I can do to save it?

Thanks

Doyley3731 said:
Hi guys,

It's been back inside since posting. I've just tested it again and it's pretty much the same. It's cleared up somewhat now but there is still now pressure in the barrel and the hydrometer reading is still the same 1020. I had a taste and it is quite sweet. Is it fooked? Is there anything I can do to save it?

Thanks
if you left some steriliser or bleach residue in the barrel it may have killed your yeast off, if its such a toxin and if its dissipated ie bleach will 'go off' after a while.. then you can try adding more yeast or a cupful of wort from a fermenting brew if u have one on the go. worth a try at least...

have u double checked the seals and the lid is on tight? ( I know u have..)

PhatFil said:
Doyley3731 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks
if you left some steriliser or bleach residue in the barrel it may have killed your yeast off, if its such a toxin and if its dissipated ie bleach will 'go off' after a while.. then you can try adding more yeast or a cupful of wort from a fermenting brew if u have one on the go. worth a try at least...

have u double checked the seals and the lid is on tight? ( I know u have..)

Well I notice a little problem with the seal when I was cleaning it, but I thought I'd sorted it. Would a broken seal kill the yeast? I understand it would stop the pressure building.

no a not-perfect seal would not kill yeast, just loose your pressure, the sweet taste and unaltered gravity imho point towards yeast issues as the yeast has not appeared to have done its job. so adding more yeast may bring it back, tho i would make a starter for the yeast rather than pitching it dry into the barrel,and leave the barrel in the warm for 4-5 days minimum.

edit.. also reading your posts again, 1020 seems a bit high for boteling / kegging, if your kit instructions say different,then i bow to its information but normally i would expect to keg when the gravity has dropped closer to 1010 if not below.

However you mention tasting the beer and you didnt say anything about bad flavours so that suggests you have not suffered from a nasty infection to spoil your brew.

So i think its well worth the punt to mixup a vigorous starter and dump that in. your kit may have come with a dodgy pack of yeast, out of date, exposed to something??

I'll try and get hold of some yeast, what do you mean by a starter?

The SG was about 1008 or something, it jumped to 1020 after I added the sugar to the pressure barrel when transferring the beer from the fermenting barrel.

Thanks for your help with this, I shall raise a glass to you when I'm drinking it :drink:

got ya on the gravity, no worries there then, a yeast starter is when you mix up yeast sugar or dme or... and water and leave it to sit and let the yeast get started, after an hour or so if in a nice warm spot it will start to show signs of vigorous life..

Ive read about 1ltr starters with magic fly stirers.. me im not so scientific, if using a starter.. i make that up as the first job after cleaning n sterilising I use a small pet recycled fizzy water bottle I add dme, but sugar is ok, (1/2 oz?? i never measured it tbh) and cooled boiled water to dislove it(edit no more than 1/3rd bottle full).. check the temp and if its 20-25oC i will chuck in the yeast top it tight and give it a good shake to mix it all up.. by the time i have done the next job on the list i will check the starter and even if its not bubbling it will release a bit of gas on unscrewing the lid a bit.. good sign :) but soon it will be a frothy murky mess, the longer you leave it the more the yeast will multiply and when you pitch it into your wort it will be a thriving population.. in your case i would pitch half, pop the rest into the fridge tightly sealed for a few days and if no activity in the beer chuck in the rest then as a last ditch attempt to revive it after bringing it upto room temp, not straight from the fridge.
(bung it in the fridge cos when the sugar runs out the yeast may start canabalising itself if warm n active)..

the obviouse benefits from using starters is 1 you confirm your yeast is alive and not a dud pack and 2 the ammount of active yeast you pitch is many many times more and it kicks off quicker. also if doing 2 or more kits in the day u only need 1 pack of yeast..

when brewing a kit i always use then kit yeast and generally dry pitch it, i will spend a bit more on a s04/5 yeast pack when attempting an ag brew .. and then i do use a starter..

just hope you revive your ale..

Another thought... you can get yeast nutrient suppliments? if your wort is lacking some nutrient? that may explain why the yeast didnt thrive to carbonate/condition your beer??

perhaps small dose of yeast nutrient suppliment to the beer might help?

ive only seen this stuff on the real and virtual shop shelfs.. so dunno if its any good or if its a scam like multivitimins.

lol I'll look out for that.

Would the finings have anything to do with it? Will they allow another batch of yeast to do their job?

How much sugar did you add? You should be aiming for about 7g of sugar per litre of beer. Conditioning takes time it is said that you need a week of conditioning per 10 points of original gravity so a 1040 beer will take a month. If you have a leaking keg then this will almost certainly be not helping. Not only do you need pressure in the barrwl but the beer has to have absorbed the co2 produced this is why you have to leave it somewhere cool.

I would make sure it is sealing properly and give it time.

Doyley3731 said:
lol I'll look out for that.

Would the finings have anything to do with it? Will they allow another batch of yeast to do their job?

I wouldnt have thought so , your finings are probably jelly? which is pretty harmless i think, and if finings hurt yeast the pack would be covered in warnings im sure..

PhatFil said:
Another thought... you can get yeast nutrient suppliments? if your wort is lacking some nutrient? that may explain why the yeast didnt thrive to carbonate/condition your beer??

perhaps small dose of yeast nutrient suppliment to the beer might help?

ive only seen this stuff on the real and virtual shop shelfs.. so dunno if its any good or if its a scam like multivitimins.

i had a few problems with stuck fermentations when i started, ive been adding yeast nutrient to my brews and its always fermented well.

OK I've done the whole starter thing with some yeast nutrient and added it to the beer. I've also moved it a little closer to the radiator and wrapped a towel around the barrel incase the recent bad weather is making it too cold. Fingers crossed. No just to decide what to do for my xmas brew, I best get a wriggle on!

Latest posts

Back