Major equipment failure !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davvy

Reaction score
I have had a sad loss today....
My "Boots" 25-30 litre white brewing bucket has cracked at the bottom. I am a BIAB brewer and you can probably imagine that I now am down 50% of my brewing equipment !!

The bucket itself was bought probably around 1989 in Nottingham at a Boots store, It really was great as the plastic is the kind of white semi inflexible nylon (?) which compared to modern ones is much more sturdy. You could also see through it pretty well to see volume. I do have a Balihoo one which is a bit "floppy" compared to the Boots one, and I also have a Malt Miller 30-35 Litre one...which having decals on the outside is not so good to see through.

Any suggestions for a replacement....?

Cheeky comments are most welcome !! along the fact that I well and truly have had my moneysworth, and that naturally I am a cheap git !!

I now realise that it was the start of a low point for me early this afternoon.... and I started listening to Joy division and Terry Jacks, then moved on to morbid poetry from Keats and Robert Browning...

Luckily I have found my way into my shed and it is well stocked with my recent ESB, and cans of IPA ....so I'm now onto Youtube videos of amusing cats !!

Everyone likes a happy ending !

Was it one of these?
A bit taller & thinner than the modern buckets.
I'd let you come & get it but it sounds like your over 100 miles north of me & it won't be worth the trip
2024-05-0320.30.021038406822625287683.jpg

Thanks for the kind offer Jof, but I am a bit further north of you, being in South west Scotland.

All the best,
David.

Well I picked a used bucket on gumtree with a tap it's great much more flexible than my original bucket I use it as the mixing and bottling bucket lol

The bucket is from lovebrewing.com

My original is from also from there both are excellent

I have had a sad loss today....
My "Boots" 25-30 litre white brewing bucket has cracked at the bottom. I am a BIAB brewer and you can probably imagine that I now am down 50% of my brewing equipment !!

The bucket itself was bought probably around 1989 in Nottingham at a Boots store, It really was great as the plastic is the kind of white semi inflexible nylon (?) which compared to modern ones is much more sturdy. You could also see through it pretty well to see volume. I do have a Balihoo one which is a bit "floppy" compared to the Boots one, and I also have a Malt Miller 30-35 Litre one...which having decals on the outside is not so good to see through.

Any suggestions for a replacement....?

Cheeky comments are most welcome !! along the fact that I well and truly have had my moneysworth, and that naturally I am a cheap git !!

Practically brand new, I'd take it back wink.... At least it didn't give way mid ferment ashock1.

They don't make stuff like they used to.

Why not go totally crazy and treat yourself to a Fermzilla or similar :)
Not everyone wants or needs an AIO device.
If you have a process that works for you & your happy with them I can't see the point in shelling out £400 for more stainless steel rather than just a new fermenting bucket.
(Obviously that's not the case if you can find a bargain 2nd hand one)

Not everyone wants or needs an AIO device.
If you have a process that works for you & your happy with them I can't see the point in shelling out £400 for more stainless steel rather than just a new fermenting bucket.
(Obviously that's not the case if you can find a bargain 2nd hand one)
A Fermzilla isn't an AIO, isn't stainless steel and doesn't cost £400

Its looking like a Malt miller one , as it is reasonably inflexible, with a good lid. I mostly like the one I have as a bottling bucket.

I sometimes have to move the damn thing upstairs to the airing cupboard in the house. You can well imagine that carrying a bucket with sometimes 18 litres can be a bit of a problem if it sloshes around ....hence inflexible is the way to go for me.

Thanks for all the replies.

David.

Last edited:
To answer the question.

Google "Youngs wide mouth wine fermenter" Brilliant. Good handles for stairs too.

I have two of these which did sterling service long before I moved to stainless. I never had a problem with them, but I decided to change to the G30 for temperature control. But now they both do sterling service collecting RO water from Spotless. The handles make it easy to restrain them in the car.

Back