Something for the land rover fans!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im rather looking forward to it. Although it will be interesting to see if the balance between off road and style right.

Although it will be interesting to see if the balance between off road and style right.

I think it will biased towards style the only off roading most people do in these is when mounting the curb whilst abandoning them on double yellows outside the school gates.

I was rather surprised with the Evoque's off road capability (However you can see what market it is aimed for when a 2 wheel drive version is an option) My favourite is the freelander 2. Its an awful lot of car for the money.

I have a LR Discovery 3 and love it.
It gets used as a van for the beekeeping/horses and 4x4 when shooting. It is also great when 4 adults want to head out to the pub.

I guess I must be in the minority as it doesn't get used on the school run and I have Waitrose deliver my shopping to the front door. ;-)

I must admit I had never been a fan of the discoveries, But I was given one a few weeks back as a company car and it blew my socks away. it was fantastic to drive!

However, as a disclaimer i do work for JLR so may be a wee bit biased;)

I test drove a D2 and thought it was absolutely terrible, then we reluctantly bought a D3 as we couldn't find anything which suited our needs better. They couldn't be further apart in terms of space and usability IMHO.

I really like the D4, but it is getting a bit too much like the Range Rover now, and it just doesn't feel quite right to cover a 40k car with dog hair, hay, straw and muddy boots. Alpaca cream leather is just daft in a car like that. Anything other than black seats is a no-no.

I just wish LR would put a bit more effort into fixing the 'issues' with their current cars first before moving on to the next trendy design model, then maybe there wouldn't be so many silly little niggling faults with them.

The trouble with vehicles like this are that so many of the owners are nobs and have no intention of using them for off road. My experience is that many of this vehicle type owner use them to bully their way thru traffic on the basis that "I'm bigger than you" therefore take presidence even when they are in the wrong according to the highway code.

I've lived in the countryside on a small holding for the past 30 years and have still not yet identified a need for one of these Chelsea Tractors in my life. I've found that a small pick-up does me fine.

Definitely a thumbs down from me!

I'm hoping that they haven't diluted the Disco's off road and "do anything" abilities. Early reports are Nissan are doing exactly that with the new x trail so hoping Land Rover don't forget what an awesome car the disco has always been.

Currently hoping I can swing a move of base nearer home so I can chop the Exxy in for a TD5 Discovery 2.

I am waiting to see what they replace the Defender with this year as its the only one of the current line up I like. Have had plenty of the old Range Rovers when they were a proper off roader with a bit of comfort but never been a fan of the modern breed of road tyred luxury cars with a transfer box that never go offroad or laning. To me its like buying a suit and only wearing the trousers, you might as well buy a cheap pair of trousers.

I'm also interested in what they do with the Defender, as a LR owner and member of a couple of LR forums (you need the group support for the older ones, trust me on this) I've seen a few 'odd' threads over the years from people asking 'crusty' LR owners what they want from a modern 4x4. None of the threads ended well, mainly due to the hard core nature of the forumites, nearly all serious off roaders.

Quite what LR's owners now think will sell into the utility 4x4 market I do not know, and hate to guess.

I work for VW and we sell the Amarok double cab, and to be honest I don't get it, I would be scared to death to take it on some of the green lanes up here. It is too big and clumsy, the electrics are too exposed for wading, the air intake is too low, the rear overhang is no good for steep inclines, too long and too easy to get cross axled.

Does anyone still make a decent off road vehicle post Defender days?

The future of the Defender worries me, as the prototypes ive seen so far in the media are in my own personal opinion not nice at all, but there is some fantastic new vehicles lined up for the future so it will be interesting to see what comes from it.

Whatever they do, I hope they make the cab big enough to fit a normal sized driver in it this time. The current 90 model is hopelessly small.

I work for VW and we sell the Amarok double cab, and to be honest I don't get it, I would be scared to death to take it on some of the green lanes up here. It is too big and clumsy, the electrics are too exposed for wading, the air intake is too low, the rear overhang is no good for steep inclines, too long and too easy to get cross axled.

Does anyone still make a decent off road vehicle post Defender days?

Disco, Range Rover, Shogun, JEEP (any JEEP) are all very, VERY good off road.

Sadly not affordable to off road enthusiasts until they get to the borderline unreliable stage :(

Latest posts

Back