Source for low cost flip top bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eorling

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a mind to bottle up my brews in reusable flip top bottles, I've been looking but can't find many and they are expensive. Can anyone reccomend a good place that sells then, preferrably with a low price tag ;)?

Thanks all,

Will.

Tesco, Bernard Dark, 3 for £5 in brown 500ml swingtops :drink:

You could pay almost that much for the empty bottles, and the beer's quite decent too.

we mainly get all our beer bottles from the green glass recycling bin or we know several working mens clubs that sells grolsch which we then get from them for a fiver per crate of empties

we also went to france last winter and by accident found some beer for sale in the supermarche it was selling 500ml bottles filled with beer for 85pence each. the customs bloke could not stop laughing when he saw the car boot full of beer bottles and not fags and spirits

Moley said:
Tesco, Bernard Dark, 3 for £5 in brown 500ml swingtops :drink:

You could pay almost that much for the empty bottles, and the beer's quite decent too.

Couldn't agree more nice drop of dark lager and the bottles are superb for storing your brew in
- collected over 40 of these little treasures already!!

Get your relations to drink Grolsch - then every now and again, slip them a few bottles of home brew.

Hey presto, free flip-top bottles.

Trouble is, Grolsch comes in three-quarter pint green bottles.

tut! - plan your drinking session better moley! - drink 4 bottles to get 3 full pints ;)

beermonsta said:
tut! - plan your drinking session better moley! - drink 4 bottles to get 3 full pints ;)

To tell the truth, the loony juice I have been brewing of late would put me on my back if I drank 4 grolsch bottles worth. I'm now brewing beer at somewhere between TC and wine strength. Curse those Trappist monks and their wonderful grainbills, fantastic yeasts and yummy candi sugar.

beermonsta said:
This is true, but I was thinking more along the lines of their colour and having to clean and disinfect 52 instead of 40.

Moley said:
beermonsta said:
This is true, but I was thinking more along the lines of their colour and having to clean and disinfect 52 instead of 40.
Correct about the washing and brown glass is better!! :thumb:

BB

I had a real stroke of luck with freecycle and carboots, you can find some great bargains. I did give up trying to get enough in the time it would take to get a batch on. I found it better to get down the local and blag the bottles left over from crabbies ginger and Kopperberg cider.

I collected 30 the other day after a weekends trade at the pub and with buying a capper and a load of caps it will work out cheaper than buying plastic. Admittedly it isn't as nice as the grolsch bottles but priming and cleaning is way easier and it will look and sound bloody marvellous getting that chink fizz sound when I open the bad boys...

Oh yeah I did mention it was virtually free!!!

I need to get down my local and get a few more bottles, might even pop there later :) Bulmers and Magners i find the best as the label comes of really easily

I went down to one of my locals last week or so and for the first time, they told me I couldn't take bottles off the premises as they weren't allowed to let people do that...

It's weird bc I've gotten bottles from there before. Anyone had this experience yet?

Probably a health and safety issue ....

I can't imagine any good reason unless they were being paid for the empties to be recycled?? try a different pub...

no its not a elf and safety issue its a bone idol issue.

to be very politicly correct a pub as a trade will need to have awaste dissposel method and to most thats a council supplied glass bin around the back. there are very few pub supplied glass bottles now and evan less have a return system for them, grolch and newkie browns go back, so many otheres dont,

where i get mine from its a case of as and when i go down to the club to get them and if they have not sent a load back or not, when we first started brewing beer we used to use mangers cider bottles and a crown capper because the wheelie bins were full of them, but know we have 100 grolch bottles instead.

we did look at buying them but they were very exspensive to buy

Back