Space stuff...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Was attempting to capture a shot of the ISS and a Perseid Meteorite in the same frame last night.

Failed.

Did get a meteorite:
1150716_10151554726706611_1768150242_o.jpg

(It's faint, upper left, in line with the Milky Way)

And the ISS:
1150446_10151554740561611_1003204691_o.jpg

(A composition of 4 x 30 second exposures)

Just not at the same time... There's always next year...

Not easy particularly when you decide to just attempt it from the back garden...

...had I got out of the village a bit and away from the lights I'm sure my meteor streak would have been much brighter.

Nice photos, glad you got a clear night for them.

What's your set-up? were you using just a tripod or some sort of tracking mount?

Just a Manfrotto photographic 'pod, Nikon D300, Sigma 10-20mm f4 lens at 10mm and wide open, ISO 3000(ish).

Two minutes is enough to get significant movement in the stars, the layers had to be manually aligned and not very well at that - I'll do it again properly one day... maybe...

We saw the iss and a meteorite together it was awesome.

Did you know they are entering the atmosphere at 37 miles a second!

I was hoping for an ISS transit but it wasn't for happening tonight.

That was just me messing around hand held at 600mm!!

Here's my moon attempt from a while ago, I tend to observe but may take a punt at planetary photos soon.
It was taken with my canon 400d with a 200mm lens
Settings where F11, 100ISO, 1/125.

I took it free hand as my tripod was holding up my coat.
moon1.jpg

Nice one sam!

I want to do a proper "spooky-moon" shot so if we get decent clouds soon I'll stop being a lazy ar53 and get the tripod out to do it properly...

My next planned shot is of Jupiter when it's back with us, however there is a supernovar in delpheneus at the moment I would like taking a crack at

I'm assuming you'll be using something a bit "longer" than a 200mm SLR lens! :lol:

Lol yup I have a 4" refractor and an 8" reflector to play with and an EQ mount.

If you think that's cool you should see some of the kit that a few guys that are in my astro group have.

just ordered my t ring so I can hook my DSLR onto my scope, ive also ordered a programmable, remote shutter release so that I don't have to manually snap every 100 sec sub :)

roll on winter months and dark skys!!!

jup_zps1c314613.jpg

My first go at Jupiter with a Canon 5Dii from last year. Am still very much a beginner at this! 180mm Mak-Cass.

Cheers,
Steve

Back