Spraymalt - Stout and IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My next two kit brews are MYO IPA and MYO Irish Stout, both purchased from The Range. Each requires an additional 1kg of brewing sugar. Ordinarily I would perhaps add 500g Light spraymalt and 500g dextrose to each. I only have 1x500g bag of light spraymalt. I do have 1x500g of medium spraymalt, as well as a good stock of dextrose. My plan is as follows:
IPA kit: use 500g light spraymalt + 500g dextrose
Stout kit: 500g medium spraymalt + 500g dextrose

Would that be a little heavy in the stout? I was thinking I could also share both the light and medium between the two (250g of each in both kits, plus the rest made up with dextrose).
Am I over-thinking this?

Tim

Consider brown/Demerara/muscavado sugar in the stout if you've got any. Others have used molasses or treacle but only use about 100g. With your sugars.

Best option...

My plan is as follows:
IPA kit: use 500g light spraymalt + 500g dextrose
Stout kit: 500g medium spraymalt + 500g dextrose

For the stout you could use golden syrup instead of dextrose. Squeegy bottles better than cans to measure it out. That's what I do. And I also add about 120g of dark muscavado sugar, and 4 measures of strong coffee as a liquid (but not instant, 🤢). And consider brewing short to concentrate all those flavours, 19-20 litres rather than 23 litres.

I normally do my stout kits (Coopers Irish and Coopers Stout) with medium or dark malt.

IPA would be good with light malt.

500/500 ratio sounds good

I like the idea of experimenting with the Stout a little. I might nick a bit of my wife's coffee and use some muscavado sugar.
I'll use the Light spraymalt exclusively in the IPA at 50/50 with dextrose and use the medium in the Stout. Thank you all

Latest posts

Back