spun dry cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a recipe i've always seen but never thought about doing! it looks complicated to someone like me as i have only just started making homebrews, although my first kit is a Young's brewbuddy i believe i should do all the cider stuff myself as i'm a proper cornish lad. ;) Any ideas on how to start small on this to make sure what i do is correct ?

We do this every year in Derbyshire with a spinner - we made 23 gallons of cider & juice last week.
We press the spun fruit pulp with a rack and cloth press though to get the last 20% out of it..

Tip from us: you can freeze apple juice in plastic milk bottles if you leave an expansion airgap at the top.

Interested in any improvements or suggestions from people...

Cheers
Simon

We wont see another crop like this years for a few seasons - best if you can bag up what you can this year and freeze as pulp ,blanched slices or stewed ,whatever .You should be able to pick up some bargains of tail end stuff if you go and speak in person to wholesalers or market stalls .They dont have the time to sort through the stuff so will condemn whole trays or even boxes if more than a certain amount appear below par .Sunday closing time is always a good one for markets as they have to consider what will last until the next market day .If you dont mind taking a load of duff stuff you can really do well ,but you have to take the good with the bad and take what you are given with a smile .If you feel that they are extracting the juice by offloading all their **** on you then look happy but dont go back. Given that you will get a mix of whats in stock you could make some nice blend up - when you get outside specific cider apples it sometimes is hard to get a good all rounder so blends of cookers and eaters work nicely.

Still ,even if one misses all of this seasons bounty much of the excess will have been made into concentrate apple juice anyway and as the stalwarts have already mentioned many a good brew can be made from supermarket juices !

i just use a garden shredder at moment untill i have finish my scratter :thumb:
here is how i did mine :thumb:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18257
i am also building a bigger cider press for next year
this year aprox 160 ltr cider
and 50 ltr perry
i just put a advert on free cycle i got loads of offers i could have made 3 times as mutch :grin: next year bigger barrels needed mmm may be 2 220 ltr barrles just for cider :thumb:
:drunk:

I really regret not buying it now.

My little giri and I went to our local car boot sale on Sunday and there was a spinner for sale for only eight quid. I ummed and arred for a while and left it because the little one saw a chocolate coin maker on the stall next door.

Maybe next time.

Latest posts

Back