SS standard conical vs branded one...for spirits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetuk

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here in all respects with probably an odd question if ever you heard one:

I am cold-compounding spirits (all licensed up by HMRC before you ask) and currently using glass canisters to do this. I am wanting to upscale production. Homebrew beer equipment and cold-compounding spirit equipment isn't a world apart.

I am wondering if I can use stainless steel conicals to do my compounding in or if there's any known downsides/issues?

I am also looking at a branded (SS Brewing) setup 14G vs a standard 14G conical available from Brew UK which is a little cheaper. Would I notice the difference in quality?

TIA :)

I'm not sure anyone on the forum would be able to answer your question. As you obviously know distilling without the proper licences is illegal in the UK and discussing distilling on the forum is against forum rules so anyone that is doing it without the correct liscences wouldnt advertise it on the forum and I haven't seen any posts previously stating they are (legally) using conicals to cold compoud spirits.

If you don't get any answers try here http://www.homedistilling.com/

Thanks for the reply. As you read, I have my Compounder's License from HMRC and I'm not distilling or asking about distilling spirit using a conical.

Has anyone ever steeped/cold-compounded in a ss conical before and does anyone have any advice about which vessels/brands/setups are best?

I'm not interested in distilling because I'm not a distiller.

Thanks! :)

Ah, right. I have no idea what cold compounding is, so thought it was something to do with distilling as you mentioned spirits. Please accept my apologies :hat:. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question

No worries! Cold compounding spirits is basically a bit like BIAB, if that helps :) it's closer to brewing I reckon than producing spirits the standard (distilled) way :)

All the botanicals are steeped in a neutral spirit (whether vodka or a neutral grain spirit at 96 ABV diluted down with distilled water).

I'm after an ss vessel I can do this in with large 50l+ capacity and I hear you home brewers may have just the ticket ;)

Sorry I have only a basic idea what you want to do but why is a conical fermenter any better for it than a stainless pot?

A standard ss pot would do just fine as well, but in terms of emptying it I thought the conical setup was quite good with an outlet at the very bottom plus one on the front slightly further up.

In terms of weight and durability etc is the ss brewing conical a better buy than a bog standard ss conical?

I'm all ears for any recommendations including with 50l+ pots as an alternative.

Latest posts

Back