St austells proper black ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been threads on here about black $*@'s (you can't say IPA because it isn't and aleman will get upset). If I remember you can't mash the black malt as it is to bitter and all you will get is a dark ale. I think there is a continental dark malt you can use.

I am sure someone who has done one will be along.

Are you drinking it from the bottle or on draft? I bought a crate of it recently and was dissapointed with the hop flavour/aroma. I'm not sure if that's just because i've been drinking some savage black IPA recently from all over the place or the fact that the best before date is June 12. I felt a bit shortchanged about that, but haven't got around to complaining yet. I know it's well within date, but probably well past it's best?

i was drinking it out of the bottle which was delivered to the pub this week, was a good pint, i was also drinking proper job ipa which to be honest had a cleaner fresher ipa zing to it, which i prefer but i know a few people who would like the black, so would like to have a recipe if one is available

Back