Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithm7272

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new to homebrewing hence this possibly rudimentary question. I am getting ready to make a Black IPA from an all grain kit from malt miller Revival Black IPA - The Malt Miller . The recipe talks about drawing off wort and dissolving 250g of dextrose then adding back to main brew - during the boil stage. But the pack supplied included 1kg of dextrose. The recipe also talks about either making a yeast starter (with the californian ale yeast) or pitching 2 packets of yeast (I think they only provide 1 to keep the costs down). Does anyone have any experience of making this- should I be using the full 1kg provided of dextrose, in which case how do I add the remaining 750g (is that why they suggest 2 yeasts) - any thoughts on which works best i.e. yeast starter or 2 packets of yeast. Feels like adding 1kg of dextrose could end up with an ABV well above the 6% stated. Thanks in expectation.

I would follow the recipe. I think they supply 1kg of Dextrose as that is their standard packaging size for it.

Also it looks like the yeast used in that recipe are out of stock, so you can't order it.

Might be worth dropping them a line and seeing if they can put an alternative together. If you haven't used liquid yeast/made starters before it may be worth using a dry yeast for now?

Hello,

Sorry, the yeast is out of stock for the time being. However, I have made it so the yeast is optional so that the kit is now available. My choice would be BRY-97 but any clean will of your choice will be ok.

Back