stabiliser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggy

Reaction score
not sure if this is a daft question. i know stabiliser is used to prevent a refermentation if sweetening wine after its fermented.... but can it also halt a ferment in progress. cheers

Camden tablets stun the yeast and stabiliser does the rest, I never let my stuff get to bone dry and rarely have I had one carry on fermenting some say it kills the yeast some say it doesn't all I know is it works for me.

Camden tablets stun the yeast and stabiliser does the rest, I never let my stuff get to bone dry and rarely have I had one carry on fermenting some say it kills the yeast some say it doesn't all I know is it works for me.

What could I use as a stabiliser then ? I just ask as have never wanted/needed to but am interested wouldn't mind making a sweet strawberry wine omnomnom

What could I use as a stabiliser then ? I just ask as have never wanted/needed to but am interested wouldn't mind making a sweet strawberry wine omnomnom

You could ferment dry, stabilise with potassium sorbate, then add the sugar to bring it to the desired sweetness.

thanks chippy tea..just one more. why am i always being told to put camden tab in before fermentation if it only stuns the yeast. and should i still add one with the stabiliser although there is one already in the brew. many thanks

The crushed campden tablet you put in when you rack for clearing is there to stop the wine spoiling when you have bottled i don't know why you were advised to add one at the beggining as i do not know what you have made.

i wont be adding one anymore at the start. thankyou so much. cant wait to tell my so called wine expert. as i didnt think it was right after learning a little about making wine. cheers

You can add a campden at the start to remove chlorine in tap water or inhibit wild yeast if you are adding proper fruits, if you do add one then wait 24 hours before pitching yeast.

cheers chewie. at least there is a reason for it. maybe not for wows but for some fruits. thank you

Latest posts

Back