Stc temp controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignorrs

Reaction score
Evening all, I've just bought myself a new STC Temp controller from eBay, I plan on using it to control my Burco HLT temp, what I've just found out however is that my boiler has a 3kw element and that I'll need to install a 30A Relay because the controller only has 10A relays fitted! Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram which will show me how to place the relay within the wiring circuit?
Any ideas and advice are welcome as always :cheers:
Happy Brewing brew fiends...

Hi,
It is very straightforward.
Follow a standard wiring guide

STC-1000.jpg

but instead of the output going directly to your heater, this goes to the input of your relay (SSR?)
The 30A relay output should be wired the same as the STC1000 output so the heater supply neutral is connected directly to the element and the live is switched through the 30A relay.

There are more suitable devices if you haven't already bought the STC-1000 or can use it for something else.
Search ebay for 220V Digital Temperature Controller 30A. It will do heating or cooling but not both like the STC-1000.
A PID is also an option.

You are in for a BIG BANG if you put 240V on to the input of an SSR. It is designed for 3-12V DC.
You could use a mains input relay with 30A contacts, or add a pp3 battery to the input of the stc (pin5 on your diagram) and the -ve to the ssr's -ve terminal. That way the battery will switch the ssr and only be used when the contact is closed on the stc.

Hello Bignorrs,

the STC controller is more suited to controlling fermentation temperature by controlling the heat cycle and cooling cycle on a brew fridge.
For temperature control like HLT, I think the PID is more suitable.
The PID controls the SSR which in turn controls the heating element.
My suggestion would be to get yourself a PID, like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Digital- ... 485ef869e4

The Sestos units seem quite reliable and many home brewers use them.
This one I linked to is just for information.
You can go on Ebay and may well find them at a better price.

Barry.

OK I wasn't aware of that, all the ones I have seen are low dc voltage.
BUT remember if you go the ssr route you also need a LARGE heat sink for the ssr, leave it bare and it will blow.

hairybiker said:
OK I wasn't aware of that, all the ones I have seen are low dc voltage.
BUT remember if you go the ssr route you also need a LARGE heat sink for the ssr, leave it bare and it will blow.

Had no problem with mine, had it quite a while :wha:

evening guys, thanks for all the help, it got me only so far though, im struggling to figure out how to wire the relay into the system, does anybody have a clear wiring diagram I could have?
Im tearing my hair out here! :? :? :?

Biggnors

I've just drawn a diagram on paint but cannot post it until I get home (currently in a hotel in Wales) as I cannot save pictures to my website from this computer. I'll post it when I get home tomorrow.

Do you have a 240V AC relay? How many Amps is the relay rated at?

Graham

Latest posts

Back