Steaming Rancor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isolec82

Reaction score
I have just been inputting the above recipe from David Carpenter's book "Lager" into Brewfather so i can brew it next week. It uses WLP 810 which tolerates higher temps than a lot of lager yeasts. For the ferment he states pitch at 16 and allow to free rise to 17 and hold for 7 days. He then says "Raise temperature to 12 c and hold until finished. My gut reaction is the first temp is correct and the second temp should be 18c.
Anyone brewed this that confirm my thoughts?

I brewed a version of this, and it was tasty, but I used Voss Kveik and 20c and accidentally added a few hundred ml of starsan to it. Only 1 bottle left and no ill effects.

Since I used kveik I ignore the fermentation schedule but maybe it should be raise to 21c, but that's pretty high. I've only used WY 2124 before so don't really know WLP 810, can't see 18c being an issue and it should clean up any diacetyl, just odd that he says to hold at 17c then raise 1c, can't be that specific.

Have you brewed this yet?

No not brewed it yet. I have some Voss No 1 in the fridge as i have just made David Heath's Vienna with it - nice brew.

Like you, i felt that raising by one degree for a diacetyl rest seemed a bit arbitrary. However 18c is the max recommended temp for this strain. I do not think there will be much diacetyl anyhow. I shall brew early this coming week - Voss or WLP810? Let you know!!

No not brewed it yet. I have some Voss No 1 in the fridge as i have just made David Heath's Vienna with it - nice brew.

Like you, i felt that raising by one degree for a diacetyl rest seemed a bit arbitrary. However 18c is the max recommended temp for this strain. I do not think there will be much diacetyl anyhow. I shall brew early this coming week - Voss or WLP810? Let you know!!
Good luck, just remembered, I went with 25c but plan for 20c next time to push it a bit cleaner still.

Latest posts

Back