Stepping UP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesters-mild

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread;

'Just added the yeast I started from a bottle of Saison (Saison d'Erpe-Mere ) from brewery De Glazen Toren in Erpe-Mere, Belgium, I had to step it up 3 times to get what I think is enough yeast for the 22 lit. '

2kg. Lager malt
2kg. Wheat malt
500grm. Munich malt
500grm. white sugar
Mash at 66c. for 90min. Mashout / dunk sparge at 75c. for 10min.
75 min. boil, 40grm. Styrian Goldings (4.2) first wort , then 15grm. Pearle (6.4) for last 10min.
All chilled and liquored back with water to 22lit at 1060 & yeast pitched by 12 noon yesterday. by 10pm. in the evening it was bubbling away like mad and the beer had a 2 inch white foamy head on it. it's still bubbling away as I write this this morning. :beer1:
Cheers!

Now it's sat at 1006, so may be bottling time mid next week. And tasting very much like a Saison should!
I'll make sure I have a bottle with a decent yeast sediment in it to keep for a further brew - for Xmas perhaps!
More when the taste test is done - about 5 to 6 weeks time
Cheers :beer1:

You may need to check that the bottles aren’t over pressurising. My last saison carried on fermenting for a couple of months after kegging raising the pressure to over 40psi

Latest posts

Back