Sterilisation of kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually the acidity of the chemsan that does the sanitisation, so if you rinse the acidity off with tap water you have wasted your money on the chemsan or starsan.
If you get into all grain brewing you may have to adjust acidity depending on what you're brewing.
So the minute traces of starsan or chemsan will have no ill effect on anything you make ! If anything it will act positively as a yeast nutrient.
It's just the amount of foam it makes when i pour it into a Demijohn and then give it a shake..... foam everywhere... aaaahhhhhh lol
I understand what your saying so i will try without rinsing on the next batch of wine i do and see what happens. My wife is a nurse and she has always said rinsing with tap water defeats the object of sanitising.🙄🙄🙄

Just bear in mind that the temperature is important in the contact time, if you store the made up solution outside or in a cold garage , the contact time required will be longer.
Yes thats very true, think it has to be at room temp. 😎😎

VWP: A cleaning/sanitisation product. Available from most/all homebrew suppliers
View attachment 63659
Hello Gonzo i am also the proud owner of a large nose but my question is related to the above product. I am new to this hobby and i see on you tube videos of people sanitising everything with a spray bottle before use like bottle tops. yeast packets etc etc It was just to ask can you use this product to do just that as i have a tub of this which i use to steep my equipment in so would it be possible to use this mixed up with water in a spray bottle? cheers

Hello Gonzo i am also the proud owner of a large nose but my question is related to the above product. I am new to this hobby and i see on you tube videos of people sanitising everything with a spray bottle before use like bottle tops. yeast packets etc etc It was just to ask can you use this product to do just that as i have a tub of this which i use to steep my equipment in so would it be possible to use this mixed up with water in a spray bottle? cheers
No you would need to rinse after use then you could use a sanitiser like star san or chemsan in a spray bottle.
I also have a large nose 👃🤣

As mentioned above, you will need to rinse VWP after use. VWP is a chlorine-based sanitised. Chlorine reacts with the phenols in beer to produce TCP, which tastes vile.

Secondly,I don't think that VWP sanitises stuff in a minute like starsan etc so. It needs longer contact time - so not that great in a spray bottle.

I still use VWP as my main sanitiser for my equipment. For bottles I use a no rinse product. I leave the VWP for 20+ minutes and then rinse. I use an oxi cleaner on stained plastic fermenter and tubing.

As mentioned above, you will need to rinse VWP after use. VWP is a chlorine-based sanitised. Chlorine reacts with the phenols in beer to produce TCP, which tastes vile.

Secondly,I don't think that VWP sanitises stuff in a minute like starsan etc so. It needs longer contact time - so not that great in a spray bottle.
Cool i have ordered a wee bottle of starsan so that should last me about 250 years as you only need a very small amount to dilute it. cheers

Latest posts

Back