Sterilising and rinsing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

As a newbie to all of this, i have read this topic with interest.

So here are my questions, sorry if they sound stupid.

1. What is and where can you buy Videne?

2. Likewise campden tablets?

3. I have so far just used VWP and the kits i have made have been good (well i think they are)

thanks

Real Ale Rascal

1. Videne is an iodine based antiseptic, available from chemists. http://www.videne.co.uk/videne.html

Its diluted 1.5 to 2ml per litre for use in homebrewing (according to what I've read). Buying some tomorrow for my new cornie.

2. Campden tablets are available from homebrew stores. They are used to remove chlorine from tap water for beer brewing and to kill bacteria and inhibit wild yeast in wine making.

3. VWP is the standard all-in-1 cleaner/steriliser sold by most homebrew shops, its great for plastic and glass items and easy to use.

Well I just ordered some Videne from Boots, got some funny looks from the pharmacist since I was getting Vaseline to grease the O-ring on my cornie too.

When he asked what I wanted it for I just said 'I need to grease my ring and sterilise the inside', I guess he knew what I meant since I got no further questions. :rofl:

Samarith said:
Well I just ordered some Videne from Boots, got some funny looks from the pharmacist since I was getting Vaseline to grease the O-ring on my cornie too.

When he asked what I wanted it for I just said 'I need to grease my ring and sterilise the inside', I guess he knew what I meant since I got no further questions. :rofl:
:clap: :rofl:

So, let me get this straight...would Videne be good enough to spray on bottles given a good old shake and rinse with warm water prior - as in theory the spray would be the sanitiser (which also does not require any rinsing post use) and knock off the old yeasties and bugs :hmm: If this is the case it would save an awful lot of bother :whistle: (wishful thinking...again!?).

What about the staining effect of the Videne?
Is this not an issue, especially on plastic parts?

I've never experienced any staining of cheap plastic FV's at concentrations of 1.25 ml per litre

I've never seen any staining either. When diluted properly, it will look like very, very weak tea (without milk).

I still rinse after videne as I can smell it. I know you don't need to, but just makes me rest easier.
:cheers:

cwrw said:
So, let me get this straight...would Videne be good enough to spray on bottles given a good old shake and rinse with warm water prior - as in theory the spray would be the sanitiser (which also does not require any rinsing post use) and knock off the old yeasties and bugs :hmm: If this is the case it would save an awful lot of bother :whistle: (wishful thinking...again!?).
Following on from this - how long does Videne take to sterilise?

the 'official' time is 20 minutes . . . . but this is because the FDA standard test for effectiveness states a 20 minute contact time.

In our environment 20-30 seconds of a 12.5ppm solution is sufficient . . . assuming the vessel is thoroughly clean before you start

Hi

There seems to be 3 different types of videne

Videne Antiseptic Solution
Videne Alcoholic Tincture
Videne Surgical Scrub

Which one are people using? It looks the best way to sterilize. I have just bought some soda crystals for washing so just need something to sanatize.

Cheers

AG

It's the Videne Antiseptic Solution.

I now use soda for cleaning and Videne for sanitizing.

Cheers for that i will get some ordered. For some reason i seemed to have used about half a big tub of sterilizer and cleaner from my LHBS and i have only done one brew and still need to bottle it obviously using far to much of it. Anyway at £6.00 for a tub it soon adds to the cost of a pint.

Thanks for that.

:cheers:
AG

Aleman said:
the 'official' time is 20 minutes . . . . but this is because the FDA standard test for effectiveness states a 20 minute contact time.

In our environment 20-30 seconds of a 12.5ppm solution is sufficient . . . assuming the vessel is thoroughly clean before you start

Per litre of Videne ..how much is that in old money, and can I get away with soaking the bottles in a hot water bath with minimal bleaching agent - then straight to the Videne (with no rinse) and use without drying? :wha:

I think I'll be having a bottle of that when I place my next malt order.
Thanks for the heads-up :D

can that stuff be used for bottles? spray a bit inside then drain and bottle up or is it more for cleaning kit etc?

Peracetic acid should be handled with gloves and goggles. It spontaneously degrades to Acetic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide . . . which breaks down to oxygen and water. The colder you keep it the longer it remains active . . . 2C would be ideal

Latest posts

Back