stopped smoking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. I plan on quitting after a festival next month... I wish it was free and not bad for you :( I love smoking lol

TBH Mark, if you really like it, you might find quitting difficult - you have to really want to, for whatever reason. Otherwise you'll resent it and want to go back.

But keep trying - any time you aren't smoking is better for you!

marksa222 said:
Good luck. I plan on quitting after a festival next month... I wish it was free and not bad for you :( I love smoking lol

I used to think I loved smoking and it was about more than just the nicotine addiction. I got some non-tobacco smoking blend from the local health shop and started smoking that when others were smoking proper cigs. I soon found that simply rolling and inhaling slightly unpleasant smoke is nowhere near as satisfying as I had thought.
It might be worth trying, just to help you decide if it is the smoking or the nicotine you truly love. I also found it frustrating when I quit, because you get the best conversations among the small groups of ostracised smokers outside and I miss that perhaps more than the smoking if I am honest.

I hope some of these messages and descriptions of what worked for other people are of use to you. Everyone is different, so what worked for one of us may not be so helpful for you, but hopefully something will prove helpful :-)

Thanks...

To be honest, I often go a few days with out smoking and I don't smoke at home (Mrs doesn't like me smoking so I don't smoke around her) so I generally only smoke at work or when I'm having a drink. Not having one doesn't bother me unless i'm stressed or drinking.

A bloke I work with said he was quiting, so I bet him a tenner I'd last longer than him. That was 2 weeks, then he gave in and I bought some fags with my winnings lol. That was silly though, I should've just stopped then, but like I say, I enjoy smoking. I have a young family though, so it would be best all round if I didn't smoke at all... Which I won't, from next month :)

Anyway, I seem to have hijacked the post... I beg your pardon

I hit the E cigs back in Dec 2011. On my second model now, it's very.much like brewing :doh:
Experimenting with Glycerol/Glycol ratios, trying different flavours etc. Many friends using as well and none of us tempted by the analogue fags ........

Going to the doc is a good option, I used Champix to quit. I've been off them for years and will never go back. It blocks the receptors in your brain which cause the cravings so you constantly feel like you have just had a fag. If you try and light one up, even if it is the first of the day, it tastes like the third or fourth chain smoked fag, not appealing at all. You wean yourself off fags as the dose of Champix in your brain builds up, and stop on day 10. I didn't even make it to day 5 before I quit. I got absolutely no cravings at all. The most I felt was a slight twinge 2 months later when I started decreasing the Champix dose to zero, but by then the addiction was a bit of a toothless tiger. It was easy.

Possible side effects are depression, I think one in 10 people suffer. I noticed some mild down moods, but was able to keep them in context, as I knew they were being cause by the drug. The doc's advice (as I lived on my own) was to tell as many people as I could to keep an eye on me and to check in regularly with the doc. I also got some mad dreams.

Like I say, it's never going to be easier than if you temporarily alter the chemical makeup of your brain. I thought about those e-cigs but to be honest I don't know anyone who has successfully kicked the nicotine habit using those. Sure they don't smoke cigarettes anymore but they are still hooked on nicotine. And I don't know one single doctor who will stick their neck out and endorse them as safe. There are more and more grumblings coming out of the medical research industry that there just isn't enough known about these things so I would tend to be more cautious about them. As far as I know the industry is unregulated. They aren't classified as a drug, so any punter could set themselves up as a e-cig manufacturer and put the factory floor scrapings into them. I would much rather trust a rigorously tested pharmaceutical product which will have no nasty surprises...

I tried the e-cigs. It did nothing for me.

I absolutely love smoking roll ups but will never touch straights. And I'll only smoke GV, anything else tastes and smells disgusting to me.

I do like a good cigar as well mind you.

My Mum gave up on Champix, it's not for the faint hearted with the side effects. Then again she smoked 40 a day - god knows where we got the money for that, my parents are not well off people by any means.

When i was a printer we did a lot of medical books and one was about smoking and how to quit.

The facts really help:

The tobacco companies soak everything in nicotine including the paper and filters to get you addicted as quickly as possible and the government actually want people to smoke so 75% of them wont get to draw their pension or in other words die before 65! Fact.

The other good reason to quit is how lung cancer kills you:

As your lungs turn to mush they slowly fill with fluid, this is ok as long as you can cough it up but eventually it overcomes your lungs as you struggle for breath and you actually drown on dry land.

This happened to a friends wife, he said he watched her drown on a hospital bed, it took 8 hours of agony struggling to breathe coughing up fluid until she sadly succumbed and died aged 42. This was down to smoking, she told us some months before.

22 years for me

Back