Storing crushed grain in vacuum bags used for clothes etc.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
Hi, I’ve just picked up a 25kg sack of pale ale malt (crushed) and was hoping to divide it up and store in those vacuum sealer bags you generally use for clothes then suck the air out with a hoover. The one thing that worries me tho is they aren’t labelled food safe. Will this be an issue with my grain? Does it have to be stored in BPA free containers/bags?

I bought a load of those snappy type sealable bags off ebay and divided it up into 2kg lots. These are then kept in a cardboard box. My malt is stored indoors so not a problem. As mine will soon be living in the garage the bagging arrangement will remain but I'll get some screw lid drums.

Well I'm just about to start on this myself.
I've got 4 25l plastic tubs that originally contained bird food & a box of extra large freezer bags as I intend to bag into brew sized portions & then put into the tubs

Hi, I’ve just picked up a 25kg sack of pale ale malt (crushed) and was hoping to divide it up and store in those vacuum sealer bags you generally use for clothes then suck the air out with a hoover. The one thing that worries me tho is they aren’t labelled food safe. Will this be an issue with my grain? Does it have to be stored in BPA free containers/bags?
Broadly I wouldn't worry about it too much for stuff you're keeping cool and dry (such as grain), wet would be a different matter.

Latest posts

Back