Stout & Porter Sugar For Bottle Priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy6Mac

Reaction score
Having done 9 AG brews so far, with the majority being pale ales or bitters, I am now moving on to stouts and porters for the winter months.
When bottling either stout or porter has anybody used muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar for priming.
Does anybody know if I were to use these sugars what they would bring to the final brew etc. Also any other suggestions are most helpful

Having done 9 AG brews so far, with the majority being pale ales or bitters, I am now moving on to stouts and porters for the winter months.
When bottling either stout or porter has anybody used muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar for priming.
Does anybody know if I were to use these sugars what they would bring to the final brew etc. Also any other suggestions are most helpful
Soft brown sugar, dependent on your taste buds, a very very slight molasses taste. Sugar generally ferments out. You may not be able to notice any difference.

Use table sugar, cheap, predictable and easy to handle. Anything else at this stage is unlikely to noticeably alter the flavour of your stout unless you use excessive amounts of black treacle. The time to add flavour changing adjuncts is when you originally make up the wort.

To add to what Terrym has said. If you were to put 500g of muscovado or dark brown sugar in a 20 litre batch, that would be 25 grams per litre. To get the equivalent amount in a half litre bottle, you'd have to prime each bottle with with 12.5 g of sugar, which is massively too much ( by about 4 times). Nevertheless, and no disrespect meant to terrym, I think you would taste a subtle difference if you primed at the normal rate- say 3g per bottle. Not as much as if you'd added a proper amount to boil, but noticeable. You've certainly got nothing to lose: why not do half with dark sugar and half with white sugar and report back later on the difference, if any.

Latest posts

Back