Natural conditioning of Stouts & Porters in the bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25861

Reaction score
My question to all you brewers out there is why is it so difficult to condition my Stouts & Porters. I batch prime them in exactly the way as my other beers (bitters, special bitters, old ales, braggots, barley wines, IPA's, Belgium triples etc) Year after year my Stouts and Porters fail to reach excellent conditioning. My priming is 3.4 g/L white caster sugar dissolved in boiled water, then cooled before use. This works fine for all my other beers. What's so different about my Stouts and Porters? The objective is 1.7 Vol CO2 per bottle. Even if this calculation isn't correct the same priming works across my brews.

I don’t have this problem. I prime each 500ml bottle with Glucose powder (Dextrose). Using a rounded 2.5ml spoonful. I give the bottle several inversions after capping. Then shake again after a couple of days. Perhaps the lower pH of darker brews lessens the ability of the yeast to split sucrose?

You could try using a different priming method. Like carb drops, extract, yeast or inverted sugar. Although I can't think why it is failing to meet your expectations if it works for all other beer styles.

I haven't batch or bottle primed in years but when I did, I used Charlie Papazian's guide and added 2/3 cup of table sugar. Approx 120g for anything between 18 and 23L. Always seemed to work for me.

Latest posts

Back