Stranger Layers in Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasp_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m still relatively new to the craft of home brewing I’ve made mead before but attempted my first wine a couple weeks ago. I followed CS in making a simple red from store bought juice, sugar and yeast.

Yesterday I racked it off the lees and now today I’m noticing that inside it seems to have some form of layers going on inside it which can’t be seen on a picture but looking closely with a flash light I can see sediment at the bottom (I think I accidentally got some of the lees in this whilst racking) and on top of that up to roughlyhalf way up the demi john the wine looks like a cloudy burgundy colour after that point it looks darker and clearer not as cloudy as well as in this clearer section I can sort of see things floating around inside but only when using a torch.

Now since this is my first attempt I’m not sure if this is normal or if it is a cause for concern has anyone seen this sort of thing in their own wines?

Latest posts

Back