Stuck fermentation and fizzy wine!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill1649

Reaction score
I've been checking on my 2021 wines (still in demijohns) in preparation for bottling and have discovered 2 specific problems that I'd like some help/advice on.

Firstly, my Tea Wine and Rose Petal Wines have not cleared at all and seem to have both stuck at a high SG. The Tea Wine at 1020 and Rose Petal at 1014. Both started at 1094 and 1090 respectively. The Hibiscus Wine has cleared but has stuck at 1030 (started at 1094). Never had an issue with stuck fermentation before and am not sure whether, after all this time to just cut my losses as I need the Demijohns for this year's wine! The same wines made in 2019 all fermented out and taste fine. I should add that I have topped the wine up after racking with a sugar water solution of 340g in 1 litre boiled water - obviously only a small amount of topping up was required but I didn't keep a record of how much exactly!

Secondly, my Rosehip Wine (started in 2020) has fermented out to SG 1000, beautifully clear and golden colour, tastes great BUT a slight fizzyness on the tongue! I want to bottle this wine but am concerned about the fizzyness and potential burst bottles though I have successfully made Elderflower Champagne in the past.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions gratefully received.

cant comment on your stuck wines - other than to suggest putting a small sprinkle of champagne yeast in to each and leave it another month to see if they go down further...

but the sparkling rosehip wine, try raising the temperature to mid/high 20's for a few days and gently swirl the DJ a few times a day and see if it off-gases the retained CO2 in solution. It wont do the wine any harm and is probably easier than making a de-gassing whip attachment to stir the wine in the DJ. I would have thought after 2 years it would have de-gassed naturally, but maybe not if stored at low temps.
Alternatively its got an infection and the 'fizz' isnt actually fizz at all, but an unintended off flavour that you are interpreting as fizz. Fingers crossed its not that!

Latest posts

Back