Stuck Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
I have just done Davids Heaths OktoberFest Bier Märzen using the Omega OYL-071 Lutra Kveik yeast and the OG was 1.058 and now day 4 it is slowing right down in fermentation. It now stands at 1.020(FG suposed to be 1.011) It is supposed to be a 5day ferment although i know this is all theorectical. It was started at 20C and 15psi which has now risen to 20psi. Do you think i running into a stuck fermentation and if so what are my options although at 5.4% ABV presently i could live with that.

What are you using to measure the gravity?

If fermenting under pressure are you using ispindle or similar?

I tend to find the readings get unreliable at around 1.020/19

I’m not an expert on Kviek yeasts at all, but shouldn’t it be fermented much hotter than that to finish in 4 days? Like 30C+?

Help please! I have a dilemma with what might be a stuck fermentation. Eight days ago I did a brew but messed up the mash which got too hot. 3.5kg malt and 616 gms adjuncts with and og. of 1034 and fermented with S04 at a steady 21/22°C. Quickly got down to 1012 but now seems to be stuck. Using hydrometer in trial jar filled from tap on bin. I have no more yeast in stock and am due to go away so if not bottled soon the brew will have been in the bin for three weeks on my return possibly with no further fermentation. Advice would be most welcome please!

Help please! I have a dilemma with what might be a stuck fermentation. Eight days ago I did a brew but messed up the mash which got too hot. 3.5kg malt and 616 gms adjuncts with and og. of 1034 and fermented with S04 at a steady 21/22°C. Quickly got down to 1012 but now seems to be stuck. Using hydrometer in trial jar filled from tap on bin. I have no more yeast in stock and am due to go away so if not bottled soon the brew will have been in the bin for three weeks on my return possibly with no further fermentation. Advice would be most welcome please!
Boil up 500g extract in a little water, cool, add to your fermenter, and wait another week. Problem solved.

Boil up 500g extract in a little water, cool, add to your fermenter, and wait another week. Problem solved.
Thanks and I might well do that but there is always the possibility that for some reason the yeast has failed as the current gravity is so high.

Back