Stuck Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning forum wise ones.

For the first time in my 5 year all grain brewing journey I am experiencing stuck mashes. This happens with every brew from simple bitter to NEIPA to stout.

I started to add 5% rice hulls to every brew but this hasn't made a difference.

Sourcing crushed grain from different suppliers also has no effect.

I potentially changed from bottled water and adjusting chemistry by using AMS and DLS to treating my tap water with Campden tabs and adjusting chemistry with gypsum, Epsom, calcium coride etc. Would this possibly have an affect and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Morning forum wise ones.

For the first time in my 5 year all grain brewing journey I am experiencing stuck mashes. This happens with every brew from simple bitter to NEIPA to stout.

I started to add 5% rice hulls to every brew but this hasn't made a difference.

Sourcing crushed grain from different suppliers also has no effect.

I potentially changed from bottled water and adjusting chemistry by using AMS and DLS to treating my tap water with Campden tabs and adjusting chemistry with gypsum, Epsom, calcium coride etc. Would this possibly have an affect and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
What equipment are you using?
What water are you supplied from?
Is your pH in spec and by that I mean are you testing it yourself or are you relying on your water report?

What equipment are you using?
What water are you supplied from?
Is your pH in spec and by that I mean are you testing it yourself or are you relying on your water report?
Using 3 vessel set up. Same Stainless steel pot to heat water. I am relying on water report to an extent (Southern water) but measure alkalinity and calcium (salifert kits). I measure pH of my mash and after treatment am typically in the 5.4 to 5.6 range.
For the mash I am using the same Igloo cooler with same bazooka filter I have always had. Perhaps i should replace the filter? I batch sparge in two steps. Add first sparge water volume, mix thoroughly, leave to stand for ten minutes and then run off. The first couple of litres I add back to the top of the mash to get a clear wort. Then I add tge second sparge and repeat the process.

It seems random as to whether it is the first or second sparge that sticks. Mash efficiency is generally 80-90%.

Using 3 vessel set up. Same Stainless steel pot to heat water. I am relying on water report to an extent (Southern water) but measure alkalinity and calcium (salifert kits). I measure pH of my mash and after treatment am typically in the 5.4 to 5.6 range.
For the mash I am using the same Igloo cooler with same bazooka filter I have always had. Perhaps i should replace the filter? I batch sparge in two steps. Add first sparge water volume, mix thoroughly, leave to stand for ten minutes and then run off. The first couple of litres I add back to the top of the mash to get a clear wort. Then I add tge second sparge and repeat the process.

It seems random as to whether it is the first or second sparge that sticks. Mash efficiency is generally 80-90%.
Everything seems well in hand but for this I would start by replacing your filter as the mesh does tend to weaken over time compacting the already fine mesh causing flow restrictions.
I have a 12" bazooka for my mashtun which I replaced with a copper manifold and the difference was immediately clear.

Everything seems well in hand but for this I would start by replacing your filter as the mesh does tend to weaken over time compacting the already fine mesh causing flow restrictions.
I have a 12" bazooka for my mashtun which I replaced with a copper manifold and the difference was immediately clear.
Thanks. I will try that first.

Back