Sulfur and cloudy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
Hello All,

I put two AG brews down about 4 weeks ago. A tribute clone and a Landlord clone. Both tasted great at bottle/barreling time. I did not use finings in the Tribute.

The tribute is in a pastic barrel and tastes better than anything I've done before, however it is cloudy really cloudy. Is it ok to drink like this or should I open it up and add finings and CO2? Or just wait!

The Landlord I have a bigger problem. I put half in bottles and half in mini kegs, both tasted great a week ago however both now smell like eggs (sulfur) really strong and puts you off drinking it. Does this need to go down the drain or can I recover it somehow. What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

The cloudiness could be down to suspended proteins from not using finings at the end of the brewing process. These are harmless and if the beer tastes good then don't worry. I had the same thing happened me and the beer was fine. Just add a whirlfloc tablet at the end of boiling so when you cool the wort the proteins will coagulate and drop out. Its known as a protein haze

My Cooper's European Lager took six weeks for the eggy smell to dissapear.
Then the beer dissapeared.

i have found that too - lager tends to generate eggy smells when fermenting. not so much with ales or porter imho.

Gently stirring with a sanitised copper pipe for about a minute always gets rid of the sulphur smell in my ciders, can't think why this wouldn't work with beer.

Sulphur smells usually come from two sources. The strain of yeast you used (some strains are far more sulphury than others) and bacteria infection. What yeast did you use

The yeast was Nottingham Ale Yeast.

In fact the sulfur smells seems to have dropped off a lot to the point of you can now drink it not taste it. This is from the mini keg, I've not tried the bottle.

i have found that too - lager tends to generate eggy smells when fermenting. not so much with ales or porter imho.

Hi, I'm currently brewing the Coopers European Lager, my SG was 1.040 (10 days ago) and the last 3 days has settled on 1,008. I'm new to brewing but from everything I have read the primary fermentation process is now complete but before I bottle I'm concern about the smell! There is still a sulfur smell coming off the brew, not as bad as days 4/5/6 but it's still there, slightly concerned I've done something wrong! Should I bottle or continue to wait until the smell goes completely (hopefully it does?!)

Hi, I'm currently brewing the Coopers European Lager, my SG was 1.040 (10 days ago) and the last 3 days has settled on 1,008. I'm new to brewing but from everything I have read the primary fermentation process is now complete but before I bottle I'm concern about the smell! There is still a sulfur smell coming off the brew, not as bad as days 4/5/6 but it's still there, slightly concerned I've done something wrong! Should I bottle or continue to wait until the smell goes completely (hopefully it does?!)

The smell will die down in the bottle a bit in my experience but if it is still quite strong I suggest you transfer your brew to a pre sanitised secondary fermentation bucket and let it sit some where cold for as long as it takes for the smell to go. It may take a few weeks or more depending on the yeast used. Once you are happy with the smell bottle it then.

You do need to get the.beer off the trub to do this or you will just substitute one off flavour for another.

Latest posts

Back