Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever shook a 23 litre FV.
Lol I have shaken a 23 litre bucket of beer once and that was very heavy lol.
I have never shaken a 23 litre demijohn or bucket of wine, however I imagine it to be a pain in the **** lol.

I can see how such a device would be useful in this instance!

I can see how such a device would be useful in this instance!

I had a drill and saw these degassing wands in the HBS's being tight i decided to try to make one they are also good for mixing the sugar and water in a DJ as you don't have to use hot water which saves a bit of time..
I used to heat the water in pans on the stove then mix in the sugar before pouring into the DJ after cooling which can get a bit messy the degassing wand has saved me many an ear bashing from SWMBO.

The coathanger is a great shout, I'll give it a go :)

Thank you for the help everyone. Another question though... how long should these wines age for? I've seen some guides that say it can be drunk right away, others that recommend 3-6 months for aging.

I've seen some guides that say it can be drunk right away,

Thats what we do as we haven't much room to make and store it, they really don't get much better with age but you could put a bottle of each batch to one side and keep them a few weeks before trying again to see what you think.

Update on WOW put down on Mar 27th. Used 1 litre of each: RGJ; Cranberry and OJ. It has now fully settled, racked and is being quaffed at too fast a speed, it is delicious.

Taking a tip from this Forum I increased the juice content by adding another litre of Juice, did use the fresh lime I had although I don't know if it made any difference. The colour is a deep glorious Rose, I think the Cranberry enhanced the colour, the body is deep and surprisingly not too dry, although not sweet it just has a really good rounded flavour.

I put another couple of batches down last week using RGJ; OJ and AJ as at that time I didn't really like the result but leaving it for another few days made such a difference so I think I will be using Cranberry Juice again. :cheers2:

I put another couple of batches down last week using RGJ; OJ and AJ as at that time I didn't really like the result but leaving it for another few days

Glad you are enjoying the WOW.

I only ever made one wine with orange juice and i didn't like it so never made another.

Glad you are enjoying the WOW.

I only ever made one wine with orange juice and i didn't like it so never made another.
When I 1st started making WOW many years back you could get White G J and using just one litre of that and one of O J resulted in a dry light wine which I quite liked it but now with the different juices available but not White G J its a matter of trials and test, which is great seeing you have to taste test each one 😁

BTW why has WGJ become unavailable, anybody know?

BTW why has WGJ become unavailable, anybody know?

When the white grape crop failed in 2013 (if i remember right) they kept all grapes for wine (they normally kept the best for wine and the others for juice) when the following years crops were in i emailed the supermarkets to ask if they would be stocking it again and most said sales were so poor they wouldn't be re-stocking it, red grape juice on the other hand has always been readily available.

There is a thread about it here - The White Grape Juice shortage thread .

Thanks for the helpful response.

I have another query on behalf of my friend, she likes a glass or so of wine and loves the WOW but she cannot, unlike me enjoy high alcohol drinks, is it possible to make a a WOW without it being a "el collapse"! I think I remembered reading somewhere it is something to do with amount of sugar!? My 5 litre WOW I put in 750 gram!

Thanks for the helpful response.

I have another query on behalf of my friend, she likes a glass or so of wine and loves the WOW but she cannot, unlike me enjoy high alcohol drinks, is it possible to make a a WOW without it being a "el collapse"! I think I remembered reading somewhere it is something to do with amount of sugar!? My 5 litre WOW I put in 750 gram!

I stopped making rocket fuel years ago Mrs Tea used to fall asleep after a couple of glasses so i dropped the sugar i added to 600g and if i remember correctly with the sugar in the cartons of apple and red grape juice it came out around 10% ABV, i think if you go too low you run the risk of the wine going bad as there isn't enough alcohol to preserve it, not a problem if you go through it like we do. :laugh8:

I stopped making rocket fuel years ago Mrs Tea used to fall asleep after a couple of glasses so i dropped the sugar i added to 600g and if i remember correctly with the sugar in the cartons of apple and red grape juice it came out around 10% ABV, i think if you go too low you run the risk of the wine going bad as there isn't enough alcohol to preserve it, not a problem if you go through it like we do. :laugh8:
Thanks that gives me all the info I wanted.

When the white grape crop failed in 2013 (if i remember right) they kept all grapes for wine (they normally kept the best for wine and the others for juice) when the following years crops were in i emailed the supermarkets to ask if they would be stocking it again and most said sales were so poor they wouldn't be re-stocking it, red grape juice on the other hand has always been readily available.

There is a thread about it here - The White Grape Juice shortage thread .
Welches Purple Grape from Tesco. I love it. Hard to make white wine though

Another question sorry I have on a couple of occasions had the most terrible um bowel action after drinking my WOW after taking that third glass! Please don't say I have an allergy to it but is it something I am doing as it doesn't happen all the time?

I set this Sauvignon-Blanc-ish off today Sauvignon Blanc ish

As was discussed in a thread about the recipe, I did add the zest of a lemon.

As supermarket white grape juice isn't available I used Ritchies white concentrate. After a bit of mucking around with dilution and a hydrometer I estimate the concentrate has around 840 grammes of sugar per litre. Has anybody else tried to determine the sugar content and if so, am I even close?

I don't know what the intended OG of the recipe is as I don't know the SG of white supermarket grape juice, so I decided to shoot for around 1090. I'm at a calculated 1095 now with half the pineapple juice and 250 ml of concentrate plus the other ingredients, however in the past my actual OG's usually fall a bit short of calculations and I haven't worked out why yet.

I'll see how it goes and decide whether to add the rest of the pineapple juice or not. The pineapple juice has an SG of 1052 so 500 ml would contain another 70g of sugar and push the sugar content up to what would have been an OG of 1.100. I imagine GV9 would be OK with that if fed in stages.

Can't wait to see how this turns out, which is possibly a sub-optimal mind set for a home wine maker.

PS. Note to self. Complete the working out the sugar content of concentrate before dissolving the sugar and adding the concentrate.

Last edited:
I am planning to put on an apple and pineapple WOW tonight however I dont have any citric acid. Will the juice of 1 lime do?

Latest posts

Back