Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit 29/11/2014 to add -
Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice.
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rosé wine.

Just to be awkward Chippy, here's a photo of my recent blueberry WOW:

As you can see it's a beautiful red, I put it down to using Sainsbury's RGJ got some recently with the blueberry and apple juice and it was charged at 75p a litre across the board. I noticed that other WOWs made with their RGJ is darker too but this one is the best red.

20150202_165156a.jpg

My latest wines have also been a lot darker, the bottled Red Grape Juice from ASDA is much darker than the carton RGJ from Tesco and doesn't seem to lose as much colour when fermenting, i still wouldn't call it a red wine more a dark Rosé. :thumb:

I suppose it depends on the quality of the original RGJ and how much it's diluted.

In my search for WGJ I contacted a wholesale supplier with the hope they could put me in touch with a retailer as I didn't expect them to supply me with small amounts.

To my surprise they agreed to supply me but all they did was concentrate, all I had to do was buy their small customer amount of four bottles ..... yes just four, seemed good, then I asked the size of the bottle expecting maybe 5 or 10 litres ........... 210 litres EACH!!!!!

FAIL!

They usually supply companies that dilute and package for supermarkets etc.

What I found perplexing was that if they are supplying these people then where is it all going because the supermarkets haven't got any!

Back to square one!

I have read a few posts about the Wilko grape juice concentrate, its readily available but no one seems to know how to dilute it so its the same strength as the shop bought cartons.

I have read a few posts about the Wilko grape juice concentrate, its readily available but no one seems to know how to dilute it so its the same strength as the shop bought cartons.

If the dilution is only adding water, would I be right in assuming that if we know the sugar content/litre of the concentrate and the juice we should be able to work out the dilution needed.
Something like:

Sugar/L concentrate divided by sugar/L juice

So if your concentrate was 600g/L and juice 150g/L,
600/150 =4
1L concentrate makes 4L of juice.
The sugar levels are just guesswork I'd have to check, and of course it would vary from brand to brand.

If anyone has more thoughts on the matter it would be great to hear.

Hi, I decided to have a go with this concoction but even though It says about 14% it still tastes sweet, any ideas why.

1 Litre Apple & Pear Juice (From Concentrate)
1 Litre Raspberry & Pomegranate & Grape Juice (Not From Concentrate Asda)
250ml White grape juice (Concentrate)
850 Grams Sugar for starters (Trying for Medium Dry)
1 Tsp of Glycerine, Citric Acid, Nutrient, Yeast and Pectolase
1 Cup strong tea (3 teabags)
S.G. 1100
F.G. 994 About 14%

The guide below shows it should be medium dry, do you like dry wine so find this a little sweet?

0.990 dry
0.995 medium dry
1.000 medium
1.005 medium sweet
1.010 sweet

I let the first ones i made go to .990 and they were very dry, did you take readings over a few days, had they stopped fermenting?

I'm new to this and just bought a few fruit juices to make a WOW. However I just realized that although the fruits are represented as 100% they are derived from concentrate. Are these juices suitable for brewing or shall I start again??:(

I'm new to this and just bought a few fruit juices to make a WOW. However I just realized that although the fruits are represented as 100% they are derived from concentrate. Are these juices suitable for brewing or shall I start again??:(

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

As BB says no problem with this juice.

When you buy juice look out for preservative as it kills the yeast.

I've just been given a couple of 5-gallon FVs. If I want to make a WOW do I simply multiply all the quantities?

Yes but you can get away with only using three teaspoons of yeast.
If you are making one with orange juice as part of the recipe make sure you leave a lot of head space as it gets a bit lively.

Back