Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this RGJ and WGJ Mr Tea?

Yes, just grape juice doesant make great wine, i have tried it and we both didnt like it and others on the forum have also done the same.

I was gonna ask if anyone has done any with just fruit juice and no grape juice of any kind?

I haven't but not using grape juice will take some of the viscosity away, i guess if you like alcopop it'll be fine.

how long has it been since you bottled your wow before trying?

We drink our RGJ and Apple (or any other juice with RGJ) straight away, the only juice wine i remember that gets better over the weeks is the orange and WGJ as it was awful at first and only slightly less awful after a week or two. :lol:

And what is the longest you have left one in the bottle before drinking? (probably not long judging by many of the posts on here!)

A month and it really didn't make much difference.

My rad grape and raspberry and cheery juice.

Let's see how it turns out.
e966a7ce8cce64223224e221c8f2625b.jpg

Is this RGJ and WGJ Mr Tea?

I was gonna ask if anyone has done any with just fruit juice and no grape juice of any kind?

And I'm gonna repeat this question again as only Looch answered, but it did maybe look like it was directed at Looch.

And everyone else, what is the average amount of time you leave after bottling before starting to drink your wow? or wowv? (wow variant).

And what is the longest you have left one in the bottle before drinking?
(probably not long judging by many of the posts on here!)

I'm making a grapefruit concoction at the moment. Sort of crossed between a WOW and a Grapefruit "cider".

I'm going to bottle it this afternoon. I'm going to carb it up though so maybe that doesn't count as a WOW.

Thanks for the replies folks, I look forward to trying this soon but only when bottling it up but then I've gotta stay strong and keep it for xmas if its good.

As they are so easy to put together I'll probably end up trying all the colours in all the sizes, even when people say they don't like theirs, or it didn't work, trying it yourself is part of the fun.
Already got the step sons missus asking me to start a wowv for her and teaching her how to make it!

Pete please keep us posted on how your grapefruit concoction turns out?
I was thinking folks are making TC with just juice, just a different sugar content really, I may try one with 4-5L juice and no water to try and get the body

Had a thought.
I have 20litres of white Pinot which I made from kit. This was my first ever wine and I stopped it too early and it's too sweet.
Anyone got a recipe to make very dry wow that I can add to this stuff. My thinking if I can get it so I add enough then the wine feel should be great and instead of a waste I get an amazing wow hybrid.
Thoughts.

Do you guys find ordinary sugar as good or better than brewing sugar

For beer I now use brewing sugar and/or malt when in the olden days I used cheap granulated sugar, and it inevitably had a yacky saccharin taste like their was a **** artificial sweetener in there.

But with WOW I use the 39p a kilo from LIDL and it works brilliantly. Never tried using brewing sugar for the reasons Chippy gave.... it's an exercise in cost effectiveness.

Finished my red grape and apple which wasn't very "red" when it was done, and sweetened with a dilution of 50g of Lidl's clear honey on the final top up.

I have ended up with a quite surprising "Beggar's Mead" which will be a major project for next year when I do my Fantasy Tavern Event.

(People dressed up as Legolas, Jon Snow and Gandalf LOVE a mead!!!)

I have about 8 bottles of the apple and raspberry rose which i bottled back in August. They have sat in the garage ever since. It's a very refreshing summery drink so I'm going to try and leave them till next summer and see how it tastes then.

Can I ask a question please
Would my wow improve with filtering is so fine medium course

If you let it ferment fully and use a decent fining then give it time to do its thing there is no need to filter, filtering can also strip out flavours.

I thought filtering was the answer to everything then realised what Chippy said about losing flavour. Not horrendously so in my experience, but enough for ME to notice the difference.
Time is traditionally regarded as the best method, but we all know that no one is leaving a 3 quid demijohn of Grape and Kiwi for 18 months.
The 2 part finings you can get from Wilko are very quick and very clever, but they can be quite aggressive in reducing stuff down... You might well notice a drop off in colour if you use them, particularly if you use a full pack on a demijohn.
Bentonite takes a little longer, but is probably my favourite method. So far never had a bad result with good old refined clay dust.

Quick question to people that brewed the strawberry kiwi wow, how long did it take before it was drinkable? I thought it was a bit meh so I sweetened it a little is that what you done or?

If you are going to use finings give Kwik clear a try, its fast and does a great job.
We drank the red grape, strawberry and kiwi with an extra litre of red grape juice soon after it was bottled, I never let my juice wine go to .990 as its too dry, once its got to a bubble a minute or two I finish it, its a little sweeter and a little less ABV.

Back