Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since joining this forum I have made Quite a few W.O.W's (Orange ,Apple, Pineapple, Apple and Mango, Cranberry) Its all a learning curve. I have been ****** a few times due to my attempts to follow recipes and things can only get better:smile6:

Good point looks like alexbrown may be the forum guinea pig.:nod:
Agreed and would be interested to see the results. Have had some good results with the cider and the missus squirted ( dribbled ) some on her ice cream last night but in wine I think there is mileage here. It has been a long time now since I went 1 gal dj style in favour of 30 gal efforts but I may even have a go myself providing I can get to the Polish shop again.

Hi there! I've recently got some of the lowicz syrup with the intention of making a wine. I was just gonna use a litre of grape juice, a bottle of the syrup and 800 g of sugar and topping up with water for 5 litres. As you're already acquainted with this syrup, may I ask you whether this will work or I will need to use more juice.
I should admit, I'm pretty new to wine making, but incredibly passionate about it.

i too have only used it to make a Cherry Beer. Using a Wilco Pilsner Kit as a base I added 1200ml of Lowicz Cherry Syrup instead of sugar and the result was:
  • A superb tasting beer that retained the Cherry flavour for the three months that I was drinking it.
  • A very "gassy" brew which convinced me that A) The syrup takes a longer time to ferment than other adjuncts. B) I probably transferred it to the keg much too early.
  • In the three months that I drank the Cherry Ale I never had to top up the pressure in the keg. The photograph was taken when the pressure was reducing a little!
IMG_0557.jpg

I can see no reason why the syrup can't be used to make wine but I suggest that the DJ is put away somewhere nice and warm for at least a month to ensure that it ferments out.

Hope this helps.:gulp:

I have found the perfect red grape juice, it’s don Simon, 1.75 litre £2.80 from Asda it’s lovely dark. Red and sweet.
I have used 1/2 of a carton in each do, 1 has 1 litre cranberry juice, 1/2 ltr apple juice, 1 ltr welshes red grape juice, added 600grm sugar with 1/2 ltr water made in to sugar syrup, cooled and added, 2nd dj 1/2 carton don Simon red grape, 1 1/2 ltr water melon juice, 1 ltr blueberry juice, 1/2 ltr apple juice 700gm sugar syrup as above, 3rd dj,1 ltr apple juice, 1 ltr guava (rubicon) juice, 1 ltr welshes white grape pear n apple juice and 1 ltr Tropicana smooth orange juice 500 gum sugar syrup, all bubbling away hope these are more alcoholic than mt last efforts as only used sugar from fruit nothing added, but nice for hot summer evenings.

.......... hope these are more alcoholic than my last efforts as only used sugar from fruit nothing added, but nice for hot summer evenings.

My own problem is trying to not make "falling down juice"!

I find there is nothing quite as bad as a guest who either falls asleep, falls over the furniture, starts a fight or throws up over someone! (I've had a few who have done all four!):wave:Beware! All of them will blame the drink and none of them will blame their own intolerance of high alcohol drinks.:gulp:

I have found the perfect red grape juice, it’s don Simon, 1.75 litre £2.80 from Asda it’s lovely dark. Red and sweet.

We used to get the Don Simon RGJ in a 2 litre carton from ASDA its the best RGJ we have used very dark with a very strong taste, it looks like they have moved to 1.75 litre cartons i may have to pick a couple up next time i am in Barrow.

000000001_U.png

We used to get the Don Simon RGJ in a 2 litre carton from ASDA its the best RGJ we have used very dark with a very strong taste, it looks like they have moved to 1.75 litre cartons i may have to pick a couple up next time i am in Barrow.

000000001_U.png

May I be permitted to hope that the price also dropped by 12.5%?

Or is it yet another symptom of Brexit, whereby the supermarket drops the quantity by X% whilst dropping the price by a smaller amount.

My faith in Brexit will be restored if the Current Price is "Original Price x 0.875". Is it?:gulp:

It'll be fine, I have never made one we haven't finished and that includes the original Wurzels Orange Wine which was pretty awful but we finished every bottle.:nod:

Hope so. I'm not the wine drinker in our house really, but the better half likes supermarket cheapo rose, so I did her a Wilko's 6 bottle rose kit, and she didn't think it was too bad (I thought it tasted a bit thin, but I'm not the expert), so I've done an apple and grape rose WOW and now this. I'm hoping to hit on a recipe(s) that she likes so I can produce something from my home brewing hobby that she likes. She likes to drink Thatchers and black when we're in the local, so I'm going to do a turbo cider next.

Going to try putting this on tonight, I adapted someone else's recipe for a cheep white wine (because Asda has stopped doing white grape by me);

Brew - Cheap Apple 5 Gallon Wine (ASDA)
Cost Estimate - £2.75, £6, £3.20 = £11.95
Ingredients - 5 litres of apple juice (Asda Smart Price), 6 litres of Pressed Apple and Pear Juice, 5kg of sugar, 5 tsp yeast nutrient, 5 tsp citric acid, 1 sachet of Super Yeast. Add water to total 25L
Notes - I work out the sugar at 248g/L which according to "http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html" 12.9% potential abv. I'm going to clear with bentonite once it's finished fermentation.

Bit of a weird one with this brew. I checked on the hydrometer today with this as it's still brewing fairly strong a bubble every few seconds, so I was wanting to see how far might be left until completion.

Well, according to the hydrometer it was reading in the region of 0.99. So far as my knowledge goes, it shouldn't still be bubbling so often if it's got that kind of reading (should be basically "completed"). Now I did notice in the sample I took there was a lot of flocculents/suspended solids. Could that be throwing the hydrometer reading out, or is there something wrong with the fermentation?

I had a taste and it's got a strong alcohol taste, which for what should be about 12~13% abv seemed a bit off...

If the reading is. 990 then it should be done, if it's .998 then it has a bit to go, some gas could be releasing but at a bubble every 3 seconds it would be rare without some form of agitation.

Double check the reading in a trial jar sample that is degassed with two hydrometers.

Delta3 Some juices throw up a lot of sediment that floats and never settles careful racking will get rid of it, two weeks seems a long time but if your house is cold it will take a while, at .990 it should be dry if you like it as it is move to the next stage.

Back